Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2013, 08:29 PM

Default Question for you audio engineers....

I posted this over on elevenrackpresets, and I thought that I'd post it here too...

Ok, so far.. all of the recording I have been doing at home has solely been thru the 11R, one track at a time. But now, I want to know if anyone is doing this:

I want to mic up my tube amp and record live...AND....record direct into the 11R at the SAME TIME! I know that you can only use 1 input on the 11R when recording, so I was thinking that I would need a splitter, a separate mic preamp , and a possibly another interface to do this?

I know that I could first record the DI tracks using the 11R and reamp out from the "Output to Amp" to the tube amp afterwards, but I want to record the tube amp live to "be in the moment"...reacting to the dynamics of the amp and capturing that specific performance, and then also having that DI track if I DO decide to reamp later on (or even blend a combination of the live track with reamped 11R modeled amps).

Is anybody doing this? If so, I would appreciate any info on HOW you are doing this, and what other gear/interface/equipment you are using to accomplish this.

And yes, the 11R is my only DAW interface (using a PC/Windows 7)...so if I need another interface/soundcard to be able to record both ways at the same time, what would you recommend...heck, can it even be done? (without switching to something expensive like Pro Tool HD I/O

Would this also be the same scenario if I want to...for instance...record a live performance? Say like record my guitar straight into the 11R, but using a separate interface/mixer to record the drums and vocals at the same time as well?

So waddaya think? Any advise from my 11R brothers?

Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Question for you audio engineers....

FYI, you can record with the Eleven Rack using all of the inputs. You could be using the guitar input, the mic input, the two channels of digital inputs, and the two line inputs all at the same time in Protools, each to their own tracks.

So if you can get some kind of splitter, then you can have one cable going to the 11R's guitar input, and the other to your amp, and the mic for your amp can go into the 11R's mic input.

Here are a few to look at, and several of them have a mode to use both outputs at the same time, which is what you want (the Switchbone at the bottom looks very interesting):

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/sear...=aby&Go=Search

If you want to go high end, the Radial JD7 ($1099) is the king for this type of thing, but you're paying for a lot of features and outputs you may not use.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
(the Switchbone at the bottom looks very interesting):

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/sear...=aby&Go=Search
I use a switchbone and I can't speak highly enough of it.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 07-25-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
FYI, you can record with the Eleven Rack using all of the inputs. You could be using the guitar input, the mic input, the two channels of digital inputs, and the two line inputs all at the same time in Protools, each to their own tracks.
I thought that the 11R could only process one input at a time?

And Radial makes awesome stuff! I have the Tonebone Plexitube, and I love it!

Old 07-25-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefont View Post
I thought that the 11R could only process one input at a time?

And Radial makes awesome stuff! I have the Tonebone Plexitube, and I love it!

11R can only process one signal THROUGH THE RIG at a time. In other words one one signal will be processed by the amp, the fx etc.

ALL OTHER inputs can be recorded, but are recorded DRY. Not processed by the the RIG.

I have a nice little 2 channel pre amp that I like the sound of and I use it to stereo mic my acoustic guitar, AND I run the pick up into the guitar in and process it with a rig I made for acoustic guitar and mix it all together in the mix.

You can get some huge acoustic sounds that way.

Hope that helps

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 07-25-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
11R can only process one signal THROUGH THE RIG at a time. In other words one one signal will be processed by the amp, the fx etc.
ALL OTHER inputs can be recorded, but are recorded DRY. Not processed by the the RIG.s
I guess that I just misunderstood this all of this time

Thanks for the info guys!

Old 07-25-2013, 01:33 PM

You may have confused it with standalone or live use. In that case, I think the inputs are limited.