Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2001, 10:33 AM

Default Ethernet Card for C24

Which Ethernet card has been endorsed for use with C24, if the built-in ethernet port on the PowerMac is being used for networking?

Thanks.
Old 11-04-2001, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Ethernet Card for C24

Why wouldn't you use a hub...?

Marcello
Old 11-05-2001, 10:25 AM

The reason I don't want to use a hub is because I want to keep my PowerMac's Gigabit Ethernet.

A Gigabit hub is fairly costly.

Also, the C24 only requires a simple 10BaseT connection. So it's better to use a cheap Ethernet PCI card to connect to the C24.

And continue using the Gigabit Ethernet on the PowerMac for real networking and file transfer.

Isn't that better?
Old 11-06-2001, 08:39 AM

Whenever you're ready Digi Tech Support.
Old 11-08-2001, 06:54 PM

Digi,

What's up with the answer?
Old 11-08-2001, 08:54 PM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Samhein:
Which Ethernet card has been endorsed for use with C24, if the built-in ethernet port on the PowerMac is being used for networking?

Thanks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know that any add-on ethernet cards have ever been tested with Control 24, much less endorsed. I think you will have to rely on the testing of other users or your own testing for this configuration. If we get some feedback from Sales about any facilities that are using such a setup, we will be more than happy to pass that along. And please share your results if you do try an inexpensive ethernet card. I don't know of any reason why that should be any more problematic (or better) in performance than using a hub. Just curious, what are you connecting your GB ethernet port to now?
Old 11-09-2001, 08:06 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Digidesign:

I don't know that any add-on ethernet cards have ever been tested with Control 24, much less endorsed.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I consider that very strange. More so because the following has been taken directly out of the C24 manual:

"Optimal performance, however, can be obtained by use of an Ethernet card dedicated to Control 24 communications."

I'm sure someone at Digidesign with authority included that in the manual? And it should have been tested.

How does a multi-site ProTools+C24 facility operate. More so if this facility wants to maintain Gigabit Ethernet connectivity throught the facility for file transfer & networking?

If it was just ProTools + the PowerMac G4, each of the post rooms would have one Gigabit Ethernet network point available for connecting the PowerMac to it.

All these points would be wired to a central server room which would house a Mac server connected to a Gigabit Switch.

Now, the only way then for these rooms to use their C24 units would have to be via a standard 10BaseT Ethernet card.

Unless they wish to burn their pockets getting a 2 or 4 port Gigabit switch for each of their rooms, because the aim here would be to retain the GigabitEthernet speeds for file transfers.

How can something this important not have been tested for ensuring smooth operation for multi-site facilities?

Especially since we all know how badly ProTools behaves with regards to other cards and PCI bandwidth/traffic/bus master, etc.....
Old 11-15-2001, 07:26 AM

Bump
Old 11-15-2001, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Fair enough, like I said I wasn't personally aware of specific testing or recommendations, but the manual does seem to indicate otherwise. I've asked the product manager and ETS for clarification.
Old 11-21-2001, 06:15 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Digidesign:
Fair enough, like I said I wasn't personally aware of specific testing or recommendations, but the manual does seem to indicate otherwise. I've asked the product manager and ETS for clarification.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bump