Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2011, 01:04 PM

Default PCI-X to PCIe Exchange is Back (!)

Just got this note from Tekserve in NYC:

Quote:
I just wanted to let everyone know that we were informed today that Avid has brought back the Pro Tools HD Cross Grade program for changing out your older PCI-X HD system to a newer PCIe platform....This will be only available for a limited time so I wouldn't wait if you are considering an upgrade.
I personally don't need it, but I know a lot of people here who wanted it. I suppose they discovered some dusty old Accel chips they'd forgotten about in the closet.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:01 AM

Default Re: PCI-X to PCIe Exchange is Back (!)

Very confusing politics.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:30 AM

They now give you two PCIe Accel cards instead of one older PCI card just to keep you on TDM.
This is my joke of course.And I have some odd humor sense, others say...

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 06-10-2011, 10:27 AM

My real guess is that the unreleased, super-duper Pro Tools HD/Thunderbolt system is delayed and they need to keep the masses happy until then.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
My real guess is that the unreleased, super-duper Pro Tools HD/Thunderbolt system is delayed and they need to keep the masses happy until then.
Bringing back the cross-grade will confuse the hesitant PCI-X owners even more and the ones that gave up and went for the PCI-X to HD-Native downgrade just a few weeks ago are maybe pretty upset now?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Or.... they have a load of worthless 10 year old technology to get rid of?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:46 AM

For most, I think PCI-X to HD-Native is not a downgrade. I have a much easier time managing big sessions natively now that I don't have to fight TDM. Everything is faster and smoother.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
For most, I think PCI-X to HD-Native is not a downgrade. I have a much easier time managing big sessions natively now that I don't have to fight TDM. Everything is faster and smoother.
+1
Old 06-10-2011, 02:11 PM

Yet another strategic blunder by Avid. The wheels are coming off, it would seem. It certainly appears as though they're trying to rip off their customer base as fast as they can before the ship sinks. Great plan, if you are an exec who is designing a golden parachute for yourself.

Oh well... glad I'm fully divested except for the software. I encourage you all to just dump the stuff and go native. I mean, seriously Avid? You want to force your customers to cough up thousands of dollars for a non-upgrade of a card that cost you $25? Nice. Oh wait, there's more? You want to do this on basically right before you release ANOTHER system that those same users will cough up thousands more for?

AND you're actively trying to terrorize your customers into buying this stuff by simply refusing to communicate your plans and goals as a company, and purposefully making these heavily invested users to wonder if they will be left completely behind? Basically screwing all these good hard working people out of their money, for nothing more than short-term greed?

Good grief, Avid.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:33 PM

Said it before, will probably say it again.... Avid will only listen if people talk with their feet and move over to something like Nuendo.

Pro Tools 9 was their chance to show they changed and it worked... for about 3 months.

Oh, and are HD cards REALLY worth as much as $25 these days?! I thought it was about $10.