Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2008, 02:00 PM

Default Isues with Core Audio on 10.5.3

Does anyone else have this issue, or know of a solution:

I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for this day to come, and now that it's here, I smtill have the same bloody problem I had before. I've installed 10.5.3, and now that Digidesign has come out with a pre-release of a so-called 'compatible' version of Pro Tools (7.4.2pr), I installed that. I checked the "Known Issues" document, and my issue does not turn up there, so I thought this had to be fixed because it is so blatant.

My issue seems to be more with the Core Audio driver than Pro Tools itself. Pro Tools runs fine and the playback through my 002R to my studio monitors is fine. I just can't seem to get iTunes, Safari, or any other application to playback through my 002R out to my studio monitors even though I go into sys preferences and go to Sound and choose "DIGI002 HW" from the list of possible sound output choices. When I do that...silence!

This worked fine in Tiger. I've been ping-ponged back and forth between Apple saying it's a DigiDesign issue, and DigiDesign saying it's an Apple issue..... I don't ****ing care who's issue it is, both of them are supposed to be working together to resolve such things! I have reported the issue to digi on their website through their bug-report, but fear that they will release a fully qualified version of their software with Leopard, and this still won't be fixed!

someone please tell me I'm not the only one!
Old 05-30-2008, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Isues with Core Audio on 10.5.3

Yup..got the same problem. It sucks. Hope they fix if for the official release of 7.4.2/Leopard-compatible..

- B. Magee
Mac Pro Quad 2G/5G Ram/160G internal HD/2 250G external HD's
ProTools 7.4.2prx92 w/ Music Production Toolkit
OS X 10.5.3
Digi002 (BLA)

*** UPDATE - Following Perceive's advice (see a few posts below) fixed the problem. ***
Old 05-30-2008, 03:22 PM

heh.. I didn't see your post, and just made a post about this same issue myself... didn't know there was a digi bug reporting thingy!...

Hopefully they fix it.. it was a nice feature.

(good to know that the problem doesn't appear to be my old Mbox!... but rather CoreAudio!)

Donovan
Original Mbox
Keystation (49)
Xpand! (latest)
PTLE 7.4.2cs4
Old 05-30-2008, 04:07 PM

I wouldn't exactly call it a "nice feature", I'd call it more of a show stopper! How bad does it look when my clients come over and I can't play them their bounced files in iTunes via my studio monitors, but through the crappy little speaker in the tower!?!?!?! I have to drag the bounced files back into a PT project just to play it back for them.... Now that's kludgy!

C'mon Digi, I'm rooting for ya, and everything else works awesome, just fix this big ticket item and you get my kudos!
Old 05-30-2008, 05:51 PM

Woops. just posted a thread about this same issue haha. O well.....I thought maybe something went wrong with my board!!! Well....Im sure digi is reading this and will fix it for the official release.................Well im off to wait in my dungeon again

(grabs bread and beer)
Old 05-30-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't exactly call it a "nice feature", I'd call it more of a show stopper! How bad does it look when my clients come over and I can't play them their bounced files in iTunes via my studio monitors, but through the crappy little speaker in the tower!?!?!?! I have to drag the bounced files back into a PT project just to play it back for them.... Now that's kludgy!

C'mon Digi, I'm rooting for ya, and everything else works awesome, just fix this big ticket item and you get my kudos!
You can use the Import Audio window to preview/playback audio files w/o having to actually import them into a session. Just FYI, for a temporary workaround - saves you the time and HD space of actually importing them into a session.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:53 PM

Core Audio seems fine here...
To install I did:

Uninstall PT
applied the 10.5.3 combo update (not the one from software update obviously but the full thing)
Installed 7.4.2pr and all is fine..

Have tested using itunes and youtube only - but no playback problems exprienced
Old 05-31-2008, 07:59 AM

I seem to have a very similar problem...

I can get iTunes and Safari to play through fine...but any quicktime movies do not play audio. The video plays fine (after an intial delay getting started) but their is no audio....

Anyone any thoughts?
Old 05-31-2008, 08:47 AM

It seems like the suggested solution is to install the 10.5.3 combo update, do a clean uninstall of PT LE, then install the PT LE. I'll try this later today or tomorrow and report back to the list.

Btw, for those that say they have it working... are you able to get a mic reading from your PT "device" (002,mbox whatever) when you go into "system preferences" > Sound: input, then select your device?

I get an error

Donovan
Original Mbox
Keystation (49)
Xpand! (latest)
PTLE 7.4.2cs4
Old 05-31-2008, 08:56 AM

This is going to sound REALLY, REALLY, ridiculous and totally long winded and dumb, but here goes......

Ok for the Core Audio issue with playback, I would have the similar problems like you guys do and here's what I did to address them.

The thing I tried after recording a session and bouncing down to a .wav or .mp3, I... like you.. would want to hear it back in iTunes or whatever player is around for that matter. When I played it with Core Audio loaded up it wouldn't work, nadda, zilch.

Solution #1. I would reboot my Mac and the first thing to load up will be the Core Audio driver, next iTunes and WOLLAH!! it plays!!! Yeah I know it sucks but that one worked.

Solution #2. This one ABSOLUTELY WORKS!!!! I went to my local Radio Shack and picked up a 1/8" stereo to RCA cable and plugged the 1/8" into my headphone output from my Mac to the input on the back of my 002R and pressed the ALT/SRC button on the front. So now, whenever I want to listen to a iTunes song or watch a Quicktime/ You Tube movie or DvD, I can simply just press that little button on the front of my 002R and crank up the volume.

It looks crazy having the cables all over the place, but it gets the job done.

I know it sounds totally weak to have to route the signals like that, but hey.... at least I don't have to re-import audio back into Pro Tools and waste disk space.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

CHEERS!!!!

-Doug
Pro Tools 10.3.7 - 11.1.2
6GB RAM
Universal Audio Apollo Quad!!!
Eleven Rack
Focusrite Octopre MKII
Yamaha HS80s
Rockit RP5 Monitors w/ RP10 sub