Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2001, 03:19 AM

Default Say NO to 96 KHz

I have two words to say:

BACKUP TIME!!!
Old 10-19-2001, 06:09 AM

Default Re: Say NO to 96 KHz

These days, it's really not that big of a deal.

Lee Blaske
Old 10-19-2001, 07:50 AM

NO!

Narcello
Old 10-19-2001, 08:04 AM

no to 96 khz

yes to 384 khz

i am juste joking!!!!
Old 11-06-2001, 01:32 PM

Three days recording the RPO and 40 gigs later ( thats more than 15 hours of backup time for two backups) was enough to say that 96 Khz is not a good idea. Mainly because backup options (even AIT - the best thing ever to happen) won't double in speed at the same time that 96Khz is introduced.

I have nothing against 2 track going as high as you like or even surround but lets leave multitrack where it is sensible please...
Old 11-06-2001, 04:46 PM

Hi.I'm taking your post seriously, hence more than two sentences! If I were you I would say WAIT rather than no.I've been through this type of thing with Multi-Media Digital stuff.The imperative within the industry itself ie. economics, marketing new product, user pursuit of greater sound quality,science marching on etc. etc., is too great to stop. Eventually, maybe two years from now, we will all be working in this format - and the systems will be functional, will talk to each other, and the claims of better sound will be clearly demonstrable and self evident. In the meantime you will be an experimental but pampered Lab rat for re-tooling and re-selling. You'll be given half arsed (sorry)work arounds and interfaces, competing formats and strategies, (a bit like the last ten years - GroundHog Day goes 96kHz!") weird hybrids advertised as 96kHz "ready" eg. existing effects units, with only a selection of available effects actually functional at 96kHz.Of course you'll be made to feel like some neolithic dunderhead by the advertising people for not signing up, but hey, it'll be cheaper to have counselling for your social ego rather than the 3 months in a rest home that the systems and logistics nightmare will give you.
This has been a big problem for me because I have to invest and establish from ground up my own quality tracking and pre mastering mixing studio early next year. You don't want to invest in what could be rapidly redundant technology, but you can't wait till "the industry" gets it together.
This is MHO. It's based on experience in another industry sector, and also a lot of research and pestering people for advice/opinion on forums like this one - which BTW are a great resource.So in the meantime I'm gonna stay partly analog and partly digital, take heed of good advice given here and elsewhere. I'm looking foreward to a proposed Digi Digest that Dave Lebolt mused about on Felix's massive "Post of The Year" nominated bulletin "Setting Levels in ProTools".Be scrupulous in your understanding of current technology,take scare posts about not been able to get a good sound after investing in more than $60,000 of equipment with a pinch of salt,and have a life. take yer kids to the movies. Buy your partner a new perfume. Let the big guys get it ready. let it be a proven, working system. Then if you have to pay three times the cost, it won't also cost you three times the pain.
Kind regards. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]