Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2013, 03:52 PM

Default Are there any happy PT 11 users?

I would like to upgrade to PT 11 but I have been reading about a lot of problems. If you are on PT 11 (Macinstosh) and use your system for audio for video post (not looking for music related mixing) and you have good experiences with PT 11, I am interested to hear what your opinion is?

Mac 8 core, PT 10.3.5 Accel 2 TDM, Black Magic Intensity PCIe, Streamers, CEDAR studio, Equality, Zynaptic, Izotope, Waves Surround, Waves Power Pack, Waves C4, Nugen ISL, Neyrink, Massey, PSP, MacDSP, etc. Never record or mix music, never use VI or Midi, strictly post.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Are there any happy PT 11 users?

Ilok yes :sad: PT no -

Not enough plugs - well that will take time unfortunately
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:13 PM

I can see that it will be a great program someday. Still seems to be a bit clunky. I've had a couple of crashes, and it was responding very slowly this morning for some reason. I was trying to nudge 20 tracks frame by rame and it was very very slow to nudge.

I did a couple of small projects that didn't need a lot of plugs with 11. They best thing is the new offline bounce to disk.

Also... I loaded it up with about 20 short videos and after roughly about 18 minutes in, the video would randomly hang and give me a spinning beach ball. Makes me nervous to work on a feature film length project.

Meters are nice, and the sync is better than ever.

Of course the big bummer is losing thousands of dollars worth of plugins and the use of my 24 channel Pro Control. I know some of the older plugins will not be ported.

So.. happy about some things, but overall, not ready for daily use. I can see this being a great program next year after they iron out the bugs and get more plugins online.

I am also afraid to buy a C24 because who knows how long that will last before it becomes a huge paperweight.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
I would like to upgrade to PT 11 but I have been reading about a lot of problems. If you are on PT 11 (Macinstosh) and use your system for audio for video post (not looking for music related mixing) and you have good experiences with PT 11, I am interested to hear what your opinion is?

Mac 8 core, PT 10.3.5 Accel 2 TDM, Black Magic Intensity PCIe, Streamers, CEDAR studio, Equality, Zynaptic, Izotope, Waves Surround, Waves Power Pack, Waves C4, Nugen ISL, Neyrink, Massey, PSP, MacDSP, etc. Never record or mix music, never use VI or Midi, strictly post.
Yes very happy. I will absolutely guarantee without a shadow of a doubt that you will not be though.

- No TDM support
- Waves not Ready yet
- izotope not ready yet
- neyrinck not ready yet (as far as I know)

You will eventually be happy. It is much faster, the metering options are superb, the voice count becomes a limiting factor natively rather than running out of power, the deterministic audio engine makes processing decisions based on audio passing through track therefore your typical session will be using the audio engine much less than it does in 10.

Download the demo and upgrade your 10.3.5 install to 10.3.6 for coinstall operation.
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 06-27-2013, 05:20 PM

" Download the demo and upgrade your 10.3.5 install to 10.3.6 for coinstall operatio"... I can't I don't have HDX cards, I have the TDM Accel and PT 11 will not run on my Accel right? I need to buy the HDX card before I can try it.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:27 PM

no, it will run with core audio for testing the new features/operation. it will run with your HD TDM cards in the system just ignore them as IO.
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 06-27-2013, 05:29 PM

It won't work with the TDM cards, but you can run it natively with your Mac output or any 3rd party interface. So you can compare the native performance between 10 and 11, and also evaluate the new features like the metering, etc.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:46 PM

By the time I'd be comfortable jumping into PT11, PT12 will be right around the corner.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C View Post
no, it will run with core audio for testing the new features/operation. it will run with your HD TDM cards in the system just ignore them as IO.
...Except Digi Core Audio doesn't see the TDM cards and the interfaces attached to them! This is very disappointing when cheaper systems or older interfaces such as the MBoxes and 002 can be used to output audio. I guess this is a restriction set by Avid to force TDM users to upgrade hardware, It's a shame as PT11 is not ready to replace PT10 yet, and PT10 works very well on older TDM systems...

If this is just a commercial decision to prevent PT11 to access the digi or Avid interfaces via Digi Core, it is not a very sound one as the obvious solution is to buy a third party USB or Firewire interface while PT11 is slowly getting up to speed...
Old 06-28-2013, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart P. View Post
By the time I'd be comfortable jumping into PT11, PT12 will be right around the corner.
I make a principal of never upgrading to ver xx.0 of anything. No one's paying me to debug it so I always wait for ver xx.1