Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2011, 08:36 AM

Default Re: PT9 Native not an option for me yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusoPro View Post
I also felt Native Sounded more "Brittle" could be the card.

Mitch
Well, I'm going to keep repeating myself every time I see this nonsense. There is *NO* difference sonically with the mix bus software of HD Native and TDM - my TDM and HD Native ø cancelled completely. Any differences you are hearing are either imagined or because you are using different D/As. TDM's advantage, as stated numerous times by people above, is *useability*, not sonics.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusoPro View Post
I switched from TDM to Native HD and I hate it so far. I have latency issues when I want to record with plug-ins and of course now everything needs to be bused to AUX which is a freakin mess. Plus I do hear a difference. I also felt Native Sounded more "Brittle" could be the card.

Mitch
Please post wav files of the identical mix, one using HD and one using HD Native.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Well, I'm going to keep repeating myself every time I see this nonsense. There is *NO* difference sonically with the mix bus software of HD Native and TDM - my TDM and HD Native ø cancelled completely. Any differences you are hearing are either imagined or because you are using different D/As. TDM's advantage, as stated numerous times by people above, is *useability*, not sonics.
You actually have to treat gain staging much differently in TDM than Native, Native being far more forgiving. Maybe that's what he is hearing?

TH
Old 05-03-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hartman View Post
You actually have to treat gain staging much differently in TDM than Native, Native being far more forgiving. Maybe that's what he is hearing?

TH
I totally agree with you. But don't believe "us" - just look under the hood. TDM is 48 bit fixed while Native is 32 bit float. Very different gain staging.

Not that one is better than the other .... just different.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:29 PM

Actually, HD Native is specifically 64 bit floating point, for whatever it's worth.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart P. View Post
That's odd, because I dumped my HD2 Accel for a native setup and I'm really happy with the improvements!

Of course, I also completely dumped Avid with the exception of their software. RME Raydat card and RME ADI-8 QS A/D/A. Done. Working great here, busy film sessions and whatnot.
I think what some are saying is TRACKING bands and such with Native is a issue.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttraxx View Post
I think what some are saying is TRACKING bands and such with Native is a issue.
You are correct. SOME are saying a lot of things. The person I quoted was saying something specific that I responded to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN
There is NO advantage in getting rid of an HD3 on a 12 core Mac or almost any Mac for any native sys period... We still have the best latency on tdm and more power (rtas and tdm).. Not to mention the thousands of $ for tdm plugs we accumulated over the years...
Old 05-05-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart P. View Post
That's odd, because I dumped my HD2 Accel for a native setup and I'm really happy with the improvements!

Of course, I also completely dumped Avid with the exception of their software. RME Raydat card and RME ADI-8 QS A/D/A. Done. Working great here, busy film sessions and whatnot.
Odd? I'm glad that you're happy and it works for you.. I'm just saying for me, to swap my HD (tdm) for native and pay more money on top of it makes no sense at this time.. PT8 or 9 HD on a smokin mac still works great and has more improvements and features than ever..
Old 05-05-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
Odd? I'm glad that you're happy and it works for you.. I'm just saying for me, to swap my HD (tdm) for native and pay more money on top of it makes no sense at this time.. PT8 or 9 HD on a smokin mac still works great and has more improvements and features than ever..
Yes, odd. Because this is what you wrote just above it. Glad you have figured out what works for you. What works for someone else might not be an identical setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN
There is NO advantage in getting rid of an HD3 on a 12 core Mac or almost any Mac for any native sys period...
Old 05-05-2011, 08:12 PM

People have been tracking live bands/overdubs for years with LE without issues, so come on!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp