Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2011, 05:42 PM

Default Re: PT9 Native not an option for me yet

Had both, and prefer TDM anyday over native, and not because of a few TDM plug ins. There are plenty of great plug ins. It's about not dealing with buffer sizes and latency and all that. TDM works like you have a Studer sitting there.

I use PT9 with CPTK right now and it's pretty good, but I hate cutting live stuff like vocals or acoustic guitars without TDM. I'm saving up.

TH
Old 05-02-2011, 05:49 PM

I have to think about my work flows more now that I'm on HD Native, but generally I'm quite pleased.
I do get the odd stop when editing on the plugin window regardless of CPU load and buffer.
TDM is great for "set and forget" recording.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastaViking II View Post
Hey Midnight, what system are you using? I would love to try a more powerful PT Native rig.
12 Core Xeon running HD Native with 192 interface.

Quote:
Also, I don't claim my test to be objective at all but I have to say I hear a difference in processed sound in the two systems. Both systems are running digital out via a Digital Audio Denmark 2402 converter. The iMac is clocked from a Fireface 400, the G5 from Internal 192
Well, I can tell you again, my TDM 2-track printed mix completely nulled with the mix running in Native, except for the tracks that had D-Verb and Sansamp plug-ins on. So I don't know what you're hearing, but the ø put my mind at rest about the nonsense about 48-bit fixed vs 64-bit floating. I suppose if the gain structures aren't done properly in TDM then that could be the cause of some discrepancies, but I don't have anything peaking, so.....

Quote:
Please don't say that because both systems are digital systems they must inherently sound the same. I've done numerous tests with PT TDM and Logic Native and the two engines sound completely different. My test was done with a real life session and I hear a difference. To my ears, PT9 native sounds closer to Logic which can best be described as a more "digital" sound. I presume you've worked more extensively with PT Native, feel free to share your views...
Comparing TDM to Native is not the same as comparing Pro Tools to Logic. Everyone here knows Logic is rubbish for mixing*, otherwise we'd all be using that instead.

(* I have my tongue very firmly in my cheek. A very well known producer friend of mine swears by it)
Old 05-03-2011, 04:55 AM

I think you have to judge HD Native on how much tracking you do. Me, I do a lot more mixing, so it made financial sense to crossgrade. I think if I was tracking bands then I would have definitely stuck with TDM, I don't want to have to keep faffing with buffer sizes and whatnot when tracking. I just don't think HD Native would be good enough to cut the mustard in a" pro-studio tracking" environment, but then again, I'd love to be proven wrong.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:54 AM

See, but for me, anytime I press record I am in a pro tracking situation. It doesn't matter if it's just me or I'm a facility tracking large band setups. I don't want to be 30 tracks in with plug ins, etc, and do some guitar overdubs and have to go fiddling with stupid buffer sizes and hope for the best.

With TDM you just press record.

TH
Old 05-03-2011, 06:28 AM

+1
Old 05-03-2011, 06:28 AM

I switched from TDM to Native HD and I hate it so far. I have latency issues when I want to record with plug-ins and of course now everything needs to be bused to AUX which is a freakin mess. Plus I do hear a difference. I also felt Native Sounded more "Brittle" could be the card.

Mitch
Old 05-03-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hartman View Post
See, but for me, anytime I press record I am in a pro tracking situation. It doesn't matter if it's just me or I'm a facility tracking large band setups. I don't want to be 30 tracks in with plug ins, etc, and do some guitar overdubs and have to go fiddling with stupid buffer sizes and hope for the best.

With TDM you just press record.

TH
Yes, I find it hard to disagree with you. I''m dreading the day I have to do a vocal overdub on a full mix to be honest, and I know it'll be coming soon.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:44 AM

There is NO advantage in getting rid of an HD3 on a 12 core Mac or almost any Mac for any native sys period... We still have the best latency on tdm and more power (rtas and tdm).. Not to mention the thousands of $ for tdm plugs we accumulated over the years...
Old 05-03-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
There is NO advantage in getting rid of an HD3 on a 12 core Mac or almost any Mac for any native sys period... We still have the best latency on tdm and more power (rtas and tdm).. Not to mention the thousands of $ for tdm plugs we accumulated over the years...
That's odd, because I dumped my HD2 Accel for a native setup and I'm really happy with the improvements!

Of course, I also completely dumped Avid with the exception of their software. RME Raydat card and RME ADI-8 QS A/D/A. Done. Working great here, busy film sessions and whatnot.