Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-09-2004, 10:39 AM

Default It finaly happened to me

I have been reading about all the problems people have with the PT products but never had a problem that was not user created.
I work on three systems A TDM setup on a a Sony DMXR100 and I love that one (at work)
I also use a 002 on a iMac there.
At home I have a mbox on a iMac 733 with 1 gig of ram
Today I just get the unexpected quit window at startup
I tried all the usual stuff suggested by Digi but it makes no difference.

What is odd is I unplugged the usb and the lights go off on the mbox, but when I try to start up it gets to the same spot before it shuts down as when it's plugged in.

any thought

Thanks
Old 09-09-2004, 11:06 AM

Default Re: I happened to me

The magic bullet for me a week or two ago was Digi's recommendation to trash ALL the Digidesign Databases folders on my PowerMac G4/Digi002 system. I had a FireWire drive plugged in, two audio file drives, and four partitions on my main drive. Once they were put in the Trash (and I made sure I emptied it, too), my system started up just fine.

Further troubleshooting thoughts: have you tried opening other sessions? Have you restarted? There's a known bug in which sessions that are given names longer than 37 characters will not open. That had me perplexed for half hour one night.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:12 AM

Default Re: It happened to me

Did you zap the PRAM? Mac weirdness upon startup frequently is thus corrected. Restart and hold down (IIRC) command-control-p-r until it bongs at least three times. For more info, google mac zap pram.
digi 001, PT LE 5.3
Old 09-09-2004, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Did you zap the PRAM? Mac weirdness upon startup frequently is thus corrected. Restart and hold down (IIRC) command-control-p-r until it bongs at least three times. For more info, google mac zap pram.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about ProTools startup, not system startup. Very different things.

Old 09-09-2004, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure he's talking about ProTools startup, not system startup. Very different things.
Of course. I assumed that he rebooted the computer upon getting the "Unexpected Quit" msg; one should always do that ASAP. His use of the term "restart" is a bit ambiguous, though, and probs with the USB can be related to PRAM issues. Even if he meant PT startup, zapping the PRAM still might be a good idea.
digi 001, PT LE 5.3
Old 09-09-2004, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Of course. I assumed that he rebooted the computer upon getting the "Unexpected Quit" msg; one should always do that ASAP. His use of the term "restart" is a bit ambiguous, though, and probs with the USB can be related to PRAM issues. Even if he meant PT startup, zapping the PRAM still might be a good idea.
If you accidently (or otherwize) leave Pro Tools running when the computer is put to sleep, you'll get 'unexpectedly quit's. You have to restart the computer, and sometimes you still have to trash all the things the troublshooting post says to trash anyway.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:49 PM

Bender, do you have ANY cracked plug ins installed ?? Also do you get ANY type of error # or wording when it unexpectively quits ?? If so can you quote what is says EXACTLY ??

I have had the same problem, and QuickTime was the issue. I uninstalled/threw away any and all Quicktime apps/componets/etc... Then I reinstalled Quicktime, and everything was fine..

But lets find out what the error # is that you are getting, and or anything it is saying when it quits....

Hope This helps --
Old 09-09-2004, 01:01 PM

An easy way to test if it's a plugin causing the crash is to rename your plugin folder to something different, and create an EMPTY plugin folder. If ProTools start OK, there was a problem in one of the plugins it tried to load.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:28 AM

And the winner is Tele Player

I did what you said and it started OK the I added them back in one by one until I found the bad one.
It was Vintage Warmer and it has worked for over 2 years so go figure.

I have no cracked plugs. I work in primarily 2 studios but spend time in about 6 all together.
I only no of one that has no cracked plugs. It is hard to compete with these guys.
One guy just bought a DVD drive with 7 gigs of Vienna Strings and alike. Makes me mad

Thanks Guys
Old 09-10-2004, 10:51 AM

It's worked for over 2 years, now it doesn't? What changed? OS version, ProTools version, maybe it's an interaction with ANOTHER plugin? I think it's unlikely, but I'd check if the plugin file itself hasn't somehow been corrupted. Shouldn't happen...