Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-19-2003, 06:59 PM

Default Session icon file \'truncated\'.... it\'s gone.

My pc just ate a session I've been working on for some time. It ate only the session icon file.
Just as I was doing a Bounce to Disk, I stopped the bounce (Ctrl . ), to change something. After changing it (deleting a small Audio region), my pc simply rebooted. When it came back, I got a 'We need to check Drive H' prompt. As it was checking it, it said "The file 'Paint. pts' is invalid and has been truncated".
When the pc came back up, I opened PT, then clicked on that 'Paint' file to open it. But it said 'Cannot open...blah blah'. So I rebooted, and now the file is totally gone. I did a search, and can only find a little 1kb shortcut of the PT icon.
I did a System Restore from 2:30pm today, and no luck (I was mixing around 7pm when it happened).

Somehow, my session backups aren't there, though I've always had it checked in the past. And as for saving while I'm recording, it's a habit now to save after every new edit function I do.

Sorry for all the details. Does anyone have any ideas I might try? All the audio files are there, and a couple of initial session icons, but this is the one with the most work applied to it... thanks, Roy
Old 05-19-2003, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Session icon file \'truncated\'.... it\'s gone.

ah wllllljkkljwhateverrrrrrhlnkaslknvlknasxxzzz
Old 05-19-2003, 11:06 PM

Aarrrggggh.....

Sorry to hear that Roy, when a sessionfile is corrupt you can open a new session and do the import tracks from that corrupt session but this will not work for you anymore.

I can be wrong but I am afraid that you lost your last sessionfile. Whenever this happens again do the import tracks before you do the Drive check.

Pieter
Old 05-19-2003, 11:09 PM

this happened to me once, i have a session with all the audio files, but there is no session file to open them with.. weird, i dont know how it happened

tim
Old 05-19-2003, 11:35 PM

This is my second time, Tim. I'm not gonna whine about it, but damn.... you don't have a hankey do ya?
Pieter, I think you're right... I should have stopped it from doing the automatic disk check(it gave me a few seconds to stop it). I should have 'secured' the session better, then run a CHKDSK (or whatever it's called) myself. I should've..should've...

I lost a whole new arrangement of a song Paul Curtiz and I are doing, plus a new bass part, a new acoustic guitar track, some pretty cool guitar...all done today.....
Oh I forgot, I wasn't gonna whine... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Well, it'll be alright. thanks you guys...
Old 05-19-2003, 11:49 PM

Did you check the audio files, I think the audio files of your recordings are still there. If so you can import them and put them on the right spot.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:02 AM

Well, the new bass part I had done was a Midi track, which is of course not on the prior sessions. I think the Audio files are probably there, but I'll likely just replay them rather than piece them back in the puzzle.
thanks Pieter...
Old 05-20-2003, 04:49 AM

Hey Roy,

it seem not to bother you so much to repeat a work as it does me, but just for voodoos sake I would make a system search under the files name, as well as under chkdsk.* just in case it could mysthically be found somewhere.
Should it pop up somewhere as Chkdsk file, but with original size you would only be needing to rename it to 'Paint. pts' and it should work again.

Just a thought.

Greets,

Lalaman
Old 05-20-2003, 05:39 AM

Roy... are you 100%positive that you didnt have the backup box checked?
This has happened to me twice now. The first time I had to start all over again and stitch everything back together. The second time was just last week. I panicked because this was an important mix and I was releieved to find them in the backup folder. But what sent me into panics was that the backup sessions seemed to all ba back from March. I freaked until I went and took a look at each individual session and found that they are not listed in chronological order, and low and behold there it was right in the middle of all these older session files. Man was I relieved. If the backups appear to be gone i would look deeper like Lalaman suggested and you just might find them.
Even a blind chicken sometimes finds a piece of corn!
Kev