Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 01-27-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Got a problem kids....

All,

I did something stupid today. I made a new session in 44.1 but my UA2192 clock was set at 48k. Since it doesnt throw up a red flag in this situation I recorded as normal. Now, I can play back the files at 48k in the project and they play fine. However, if I switch my clock to 44.1 they slow down.

No problem i thought Ill just leave my clock at 48k and bounce then converty to 44.1 and it should sound the same. Wrong....

No matter how i get the file out of ProTools it is always slower than it sounds inside PT. I have tried converting all of my files, bouncing at different sample rates and even internally bouncing to a bus then SR converting the stereo file. Nothing works.

Im beginning to think that my only option is to PLAY it out of ProTools into another audio app on another computer.

Ideas?

Thanks,
S0nguy
Old 01-27-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Got a problem kids....

Consolidate all the tracks in your session... then create a new session at 48kHz and import the consolidated files into your new session without converting them....

or...

Consolidate all the tracks in your session... use my free Header Investigator utility and change the sample rates in the Headers of the consolidated files to 48kHz... create a new 48kHz session and import the consolidated files into the session.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 01-27-2005, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Consolidate all the tracks in your session... then create a new session at 48kHz and import the consolidated files into your new session without converting them....

or...

Consolidate all the tracks in your session... use my free Header Investigator utility and change the sample rates in the Headers of the consolidated files to 48kHz... create a new 48kHz session and import the consolidated files into the session.

Rail
D00d. You are truly an asset to the community. Thanks a ton...Ill try your free software since I think I already did the first one and it didnt work. Is there a button that will allow you to import withotu converting?

Also......this is totally unrelated but my TAP function on the transport bar is gone in 6.7 any idea how to get it back? I can see all of the MIDI stuff but no TAP...

-S0nguy
Old 01-27-2005, 09:23 PM

Read the "What's New in 6.7" PDF file.. Tap Tempo is replaced with the T key.

Make sure that your extrnal clock always matches the sample rate of the session. If you change the headers you must set the clock and new session to 48kHz.

Rail
Old 01-27-2005, 09:27 PM

Something like this once happened to me, too. Your solution is not bad at all - you might even be able to play out of and back into the same Digidesign interface (maybe even do it digitally, via adat or aes/ebu or spdif ports) and record it right into the same Protools session in a corrected version. If not, play it into another program (or even another computer), and if using balanced or digital connections, you'll probably never hear the difference.

One other possibility it to open the file/s in a program that allows you to specify the sample rate (save a copy in case something goes wrong). Sound Forge does this, as detailed in these instructions from their help file:

" Set the sample rate without resampling
When you convert between two very close sample rates and want to process the file quickly, you can change the sample rate without resampling. However, the original pitch of the file is not preserved.

From the Process menu, choose Resample.

In the New sample rate box, specify the sample rate to which the sound file will be converted.

Select the Set the sample rate only check box to change the playback rate without resampling the data. This means that the original pitch of the file is not preserved.

Click the OK button."

[You can also right click the sample rate box on the status bar and just choose a new sample rate].

I believe what this does is to change the spot in the file's header that defines the sample rate. Once changed, Protools should obey the new header.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I believe what this does is to change the spot in the file's header that defines the sample rate.
That's what Header Investigator does.

Rail
Old 02-03-2005, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I believe what this does is to change the spot in the file's header that defines the sample rate.
That's what Header Investigator does.

Rail
This also happened to me... I used Rail's program and it worked like a charm.