Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2004, 10:02 PM

Default A Different Voice-Over Question...

I'm doing V/O work that ends up on a website, which means that the audio files must be cached in a certain way because they are so big. The files that I hand over are all .WAV (uncompressed in any way), and I've been told that they never get compressed, only cached by the website programming. Needless to say, when the audio comes over the website, it sounds pretty bad. It is intelligible, and it gets the job done, but it sounds much worse than what I hand to my client.

At the risk of going outside the scope of this forum, can you give me some advice or information on what's going on with the audio files on the website? Why do they sound bad if they're not compressed? Is there anything I can do to give my client a file that will "take" to this "caching" process a little better?

Has anyone experienced this same thing? I guess it would be similar to a band's website where uncompressed audio streamed from the website to your computer.

Old 02-22-2004, 11:05 PM

Default Re: A Different Voice-Over Question...

what kind of file/files are you giving them? what format?
Old 02-23-2004, 05:06 AM

The first thing would be to check the size of the downloaded version of the file against the .wav you gave them. If the file is much smaller, they clearly HAVE compressed it, and are obviously either lying about it or incompetent.

Old 02-23-2004, 11:07 AM

As I stated before, I'm handing over uncompressed .WAV files. The audio on the website is never downloaded, but it automatically streams when you roll over a "hot-spot" with the mouse.

Again, I'm told the audio is not compressed, but cached in a certain way in order for it to stream. Does anyone know anything about this?
Old 02-23-2004, 05:48 PM

Quote:
As I stated before, I'm handing over uncompressed .WAV files. The audio on the website is never downloaded, but it automatically streams when you roll over a "hot-spot" with the mouse.

Again, I'm told the audio is not compressed, but cached in a certain way in order for it to stream. Does anyone know anything about this?
This sounds unlikely...
HD 2 Accel
PT 7.1cs9
192 I/O
Old 02-24-2004, 06:30 AM

The web developers are probably using Flash which, when you import .wav files, converts them to .mp3. I produce audio for an interactive company that streams educational content and the developers here convert the files to 32kbps! I know it's a real bummer to hear your files butchered like that but in reality, lower quality audio is a better compromise than a page that loads too slow.
I would be curious to hear how badly translated your audio is on the web page. Ours almost has an AM radio kind of sound to it. It's tolerable but not nearly as sweet sounding as before it was embedded.