Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2006, 12:44 PM

Default Dimension Pro

Is anyone using Cakewalk's Dimension Pro? I just got a copy and am starting to play with it.
Any comments or tips?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Dimension Pro

I've been using it for a couple of months now. The sounds are fantastic but the RTAS implementation in 1.2 is dismal. The pitch is off by a little under a semitone and a half in the RTAS version and it feels really unstable. Please complain to cakewalk about this so they fix it. I've written two bug reports via their website so let em' know because a simple problem like that should be an easy fix.

I use it as a wrapped VST and there's no problem with the base pitch however, as a wrapped VST, with the GUI open you lose keyboard focus with this particular plug so you can't start/stop playback from the keyboard. The protools GUI gets choppy as well, especially when you have realtime controllers mapped to functions in Dimension and are twisting the knobs. Also the processor spikes when you select an instrument. It's a bit of a processor hog depending on the complexity of the patch but the sounds are really pretty amazing. The Garritan Pocket Orchestra that's included is really top notch for the price.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:53 PM

not sure, i'll you'll see this, but if you did please advise if you can.....i also tried to use VST wrapper, to get groove agent in my protools to work, ..and it shows up under instruemnts and all that..but i can't get any sound out of it....every thing is right as fars AUX and midi chaneel and speakers and all that...i just don't know what else i need to do....thanks
Old 05-18-2006, 02:51 AM

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm certainly not going to seriously look at spending good money on a soft synth product from someone like Cakewalk any more seriously than I'd look at buying a guitar a amp emulation product from someone like Crate.
I tried it and wasn't impressed.
With Arturia, McDSP, Native Instruments, Propellerhead, and myriad others with proven track records in the soft synth department, It'd take a lot of pressing to make me think $250.00 would be well spent on a Cakewalk product.
What's next, a $400.00 virtual orchestra from Band In A Box?

Old 05-18-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
The pitch is off by a little under a semitone and a half in the RTAS version
That's interesting... from my old Akai sampling days I remember that the difference between 44.1k and 48k is 1.47 semitones (one semitone and 47 cents). Fascinating...?!
Old 05-19-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The pitch is off by a little under a semitone and a half in the RTAS version
That's interesting... from my old Akai sampling days I remember that the difference between 44.1k and 48k is 1.47 semitones (one semitone and 47 cents). Fascinating...?!
yeah, I remember this as well from my old Akai sampling days wow...nostalga!

i tried opening dimension is both 44.1 and 48k sessions and the problem is only with 48K sessions so it looks like an interpolation problem.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
not sure, i'll you'll see this, but if you did please advise if you can.....i also tried to use VST wrapper, to get groove agent in my protools to work, ..and it shows up under instruemnts and all that..but i can't get any sound out of it....every thing is right as fars AUX and midi chaneel and speakers and all that...i just don't know what else i need to do....thanks

try sending an email over to Angus at Fxpansion. He should be able to sort out your problem. www.fxpansion.com
Old 05-19-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I don't know if it's just me, but I'm certainly not going to seriously look at a soft synth product from someone like Cakewalk any more seriously than I'd look at guitar a amp emulation product from someone like Crate.
With Arturia, McDSP, Native Instruments, Propellerhead, and myriad others with proven track records in the soft synth department, It'd take a lot of pressing to make me think $250.00 would be well spent on a Cakewalk product.
What's next, a $400.00 virtual orchestra from Band In A Box?

Don't knock it till you've tried it...remember that Cakewalk has a history with computers and music that goes back further than any of the companies that you mentioned and I think that counts for something. The sonic quality of Dimension's instruments are superb for a rompler. It'll trounce all over Xpand just in terms of programmability and kick out Konakt as far as flexibility and reliability. I was surprised myself at the quality of the instrument (as a wrapped VST anyway, RTAS wasn't available in 1.0) And the virtual orchestra is already in the $250.00 cakewalk product (Garritan Pocket Orchestra). Hey, you've heard about Garritan strings? Well there's a cut down version that comes with Dimension that's really good. Also the library is expandable. this will blow out sampletank any day of the week...

Cakewalk's flagship synth, Rapture, is supposed to be really good as well although I haven't had the opportunity to try it. Judging from people's reactions to Rapture and Digi's Hybrid (both similar products?) I think I would rather spend my money on Rapture.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:30 PM

Hi
I dont believe this ,you have over 1000 p0sts and could you possibly be so dumb that you wouldnt even look at the only synth(dim pro) and i mean the only one, on the market, that can run flawlessly in pro tools ,ironic or what?

brandy
Old 05-31-2006, 10:39 AM

I looked at it, and dismissed it in a hurry.
I've messed with it, and I didn't like it.
Did you READ my post?
I should now buy it because it has one fan?
That's difficult for you to fathom?
Cakewalk synths have about as much appeal to me as a Line 6 mic pre would, or a Peavey guitar.
As I stated above, I have DOZENS of virtual synths, including all the Arturia stuff, Absynth, McDSP Synth One, B4, and on and on.
You go ahead and have at it.