Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-30-2002, 06:37 AM

Default Brent, more on the Mbox & latency

Thanks for answering Brent. It's great customer support you have.

I have worked on MIX systems for the last two years and I want the Mbox for it's convienience with a laptop. What are the lowest latency delay times in millisecons when recording with the 888, Digi001 and Mbox?

I am used to tracking with 888 I/O interfaces and having very little latency when listening to the live incoming performance via the hardware outputs.

I want to use an Apogee Rosetta to do my conversion before I enter the Mbox because I have Neve Preamps and runnig the outputs of Neves into the Focusrite preamps/line gain is a no no.

Basically Brent, is this possible? Can I track drums and vocals and anything else with the Mbox with this set up while monitoring the source and recorded material from Mbox? Or, will the latency out of Pro Tools of live recording input via the spdif connection be too great for a drummer or vocalist to perform without feeling like they are lost in a mess of a time warp?

If not, is it possible with the Digi001 to go in digitally via Rosetta and track live input that will be in time on output enough for musicians to perform to?

Will a firewire or non PCI card version of the Digi001 be offered soon to make all of the Mbox headaches go away?

Headaches are as follows:

1. Latency issue with output

2. Not being able to do proper punch-ins because of zero latency monitoring and having to mute the output of the track you are recording on.

3. Significant latency using spdif input.

4. Not enough available I/O

5. No dedicated output with level control for studio monitors
Old 05-02-2002, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Brent, more on the Mbox & latency

I was going to ask the exact question that "Pro Toolian" has Here. I would love a complete straight answer to this question as well. I am sure many others would like to know as well.
Old 05-03-2002, 08:05 AM
Avid

Default Re: Brent, more on the Mbox & latency

Quote:
Originally posted by Pro Toolian:
Can I track drums and vocals and anything else with the Mbox with this set up while monitoring the source and recorded material from Mbox? Or, will the latency out of Pro Tools of live recording input via the spdif connection be too great for a drummer or vocalist to perform without feeling like they are lost in a mess of a time warp?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">-In this scenario, yes, the latency will in fact be enough for it disrupt a performance. Your source audio will need to be routed into MBox via Analog in order to take advantage of the no latency Input/Playback pot.

Quote:
If not, is it possible with the Digi001 to go in digitally via Rosetta and track live input that will be in time on output enough for musicians to perform to?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">By enabling the "Low Latency Monitoring" option, yes, this is possible.

Brent