Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2016, 07:51 PM

Default Scarlett Solo's I/O Setup Greyed out

I recently got Pro Tools 12, and I already have a Scarlett Solo (Gen 2) interface. I've been trying to set up a basic audio track, but the Input settings are wonky. I've gone into I/O Setup, and whenever I do, all of the buttons under the Input tab are greyed out (I can't even select "Default", which is what all of the many troubleshooting forums I've looked at).

I know that my interface is being recognized by my Mac, because it is in all of the settings options. The interface is also recognized by Pro Tools, because it shows up in the "Hardware" and "Playback Engine" settings under "Setup". I don't know where else to go with this. Please respond soon!

*Edit*:
I found another thread, of which someone had the same problem, and it turns out that the Scarlett is splitting into two different devices, Input and Output. No matter which Scarlett device I pick, it always auto-sets to the Output one, which explains why I can hear the output. The other thread member got in touch with Focusrite, and many of their interfaces are having the same problem right now.

Last edited by JollyGreen; 12-29-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:52 AM

Default Re: Scarlett Solo's I/O Setup Greyed out

Yeah, I posted that other thread, I had to go back to the first OSX that came with my mac.

Honestly I have learned something, just stick with what's working, no need to upgrade anything, all you want to do is record and do your music, you do not need any upgrade for that.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:56 PM

From Focusrite (after had gone back to El Capitan, so haven't tried this...

"We just started seeing this odd issue with the release of the newest Sierra update, 10.12.2.

In this new update to OS Sierra the Scarlett Solo, 2i2 and 2i4, are showing up as two separate devices, one for Input and one for Output.

Thus in DAWs where you select the Scarlett you are only able to use Inputs or Outputs, but not both, resulting in either no Input or no Output depending on which you select.

We have a work around for now, but we are looking into a better long term resolution.

Please open the Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup.

Press the small + sign to create a new Aggregate Device.

In this new Aggregate Device add both the Scarlett 2i2 Inputs and Outputs.

Then select this Aggregate Device in your DAW.

This should allow you to use both Inputs and Outputs of the Scarlett until we find a better fix for this issue."

https://linktr.ee/sergius128
Old 04-06-2017, 09:54 AM

Hi Sergius,

Thank you so much for posting this solution. I've been going crazy trying to figure out how to get my mic input/output settings to show up correctly in Pro Tools.

Avid should definitely make this information much easier to access. I can only imagine how many others are searching around for this right now.

Tom
Old 04-09-2017, 06:29 PM

I've tried this quick fix on my MacBook Pro running OSX 10.12 and Protools still only allows me to select the Scarlett 2i2 as an output. I would have rather had it as an input so that I could at least record. Before I return my Scarlett 2i2 or trade it for another brand of USB interface I want to know if any other progress has been made in fixing this issue.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:05 AM

It is so true for me. This is the first time ever I have use this set, but knocked out by the bug here. So disappointed when I have trusted Avid so long. Anyway, this is not their fault.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:09 PM

Glad to find others have had this issue. I only upgrade when forced to by technology, and the old Powerbook G4 running Pro Tools 7 LE just wasn't cutting in anymore. I'm enjoying Pro Tools 12 so far, but was extremely disappointed that the number 1 recommended I/O by my peers was not fully functional. I've been switching between the 2i2 for playback to my monitors, and using a Zoom H6 anytime I need to record. Thanks for the work around. It's certainly not a big deal to set up, and works surprisingly well for a 3rd party I/O.

Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:15 AM

This is a well known issue. It's a Focusrite driver and OS X issue that Focusrite is aware of.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-22-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixius View Post
Glad to find others have had this issue. I only upgrade when forced to by technology, and the old Powerbook G4 running Pro Tools 7 LE just wasn't cutting in anymore. I'm enjoying Pro Tools 12 so far, but was extremely disappointed that the number 1 recommended I/O by my peers was not fully functional. I've been switching between the 2i2 for playback to my monitors, and using a Zoom H6 anytime I need to record. Thanks for the work around. It's certainly not a big deal to set up, and works surprisingly well for a 3rd party I/O.

Thanks again.
hi, not sure if this has been discussed here but in the other thread i believe the Fix was a Firmware Update for the Gen2 Scarlett, so you do not need to use the Pro Tools Aggregate anymore, it now sees both in's and out's in one window ..

if this is not the help you need, please just disregard this ..

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 07-30-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
hi, not sure if this has been discussed here but in the other thread i believe the Fix was a Firmware Update for the Gen2 Scarlett, so you do not need to use the Pro Tools Aggregate anymore, it now sees both in's and out's in one window ..

if this is not the help you need, please just disregard this ..

cheers john
Thanks John. I'm having some trouble finding anything about a firmware update on Focusrite's website. All I can find are links to plug-in downloads associated with my bundle code. I downloaded their "Scarlett Updater App," and it says everything is up to date. The Aggregate work around is resulting in error messages every time I launch Pro Tools. I'm having to trash my prefs and reconfigure every time I open the software.

Also, people above seem to have the 2 Scarlett 2i2 options appearing in their Playback Hardware options (one for in, and one for out). I have the same two options, but neither allow for inputs. It's seems they are both only outputs. The aggregate worked fine the first time I ran it, but it seems to no longer.