Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2022, 09:13 AM

Default Laptops running protools.

Hello all! I'm new here, so apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, but I looked all over, and couldn't find a better place!

I am in the market for a new laptop and I want it to be able to run protools (and premiere pro) smoothly without breaking the bank. The music I write tends to use strings and piano plugins like keyscape and spitfire strings, alongside live instruments.

Here's the machine I've been looking at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09G24NB...6F1MQS848?th=1

Intel Core i5-1035G1 10th Gen. (1.0GHz - 3.6GHz Turbo) Quad Core Processor
Intel Integrated UHD Graphics
64GB DDR4 (Upgraded from 8GB) Laptop Memory
2048GB (2TB) M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

The RAM is very nice, but what slightly concerns me is the processor. I think it's probably adequate as it's better than the one I have currently, and is quad core. Currently I haven't found a laptop with more processor but less RAM for an equivalent price.

I'm not a huge fan of the interface of Macs, or the Apple ethos, but I do know they tend to be more stable and run smoother for longer. But an equivalent machine looks to be double the price. Or is the case that one with lower specs will perform better than a PC of comparable specs?

Any advice would be welcome! Should I look for a faster processor?
The processor on this one is faster, but I can't find it on an equivalent laptop with enough RAM. https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VivoBo...77&sr=8-8&th=1

Last edited by celloguy; 02-14-2022 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-15-2022, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Laptops running protools.

The audio school I went to in 2010 specifically had its studio computers that were all "Windows PCs" that dual booted in MacOS. In 2010, lol. It appears unprofessional now, but at least we were students that had to learn methods of dealing with problematic setups and it wasn't only super smooth with no bugs ever. I think their theory was, "costs less, gets the higher specs' but oh, was it buggy!

That said, about laptops running Pro Tools and specs:

The question of RAM vs Processor and your use scenario might be interpreted by the following consideration. If you are using many more "sample library" based instruments, RAM will probably be slightly more performance boosting than processor power. If you are using many more "synthesizers" and "effect plugins" which don't need as many samples in RAM but instead use processor calculations, then the processor becomes more important.

I think balance is probably good to go for. If you have budget and feel Mac would be more stable, probably go with that. If you are a lot more comfortable as a Windows user, you can probably get away with it. If you stay with "qualified" with "compatibility" assured hardware, and choose the system accordingly after that, I don't think you would necessarily have less stability. Searching for other people's reliable setups in the Windows forum category might be a good thing to do.
Old 02-15-2022, 01:51 PM

I recommend the M1 MacBook Air, it screams with video, and Premier Pro is crazy efficient on it now as is Resolve and FCP.

It beat my 12 Core MacPro, by a mile!
Old 02-15-2022, 02:07 PM

Default Laptops running protools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTalk View Post
I recommend the M1 MacBook Air, it screams with video, and Premier Pro is crazy efficient on it now as is Resolve and FCP.

But if the OP is looking at Windows laptops with 64GB RAM, then the MBA which tops out at 16GB might not fit the bill.

I’d take advantage of the 14 day return policy Apple offers and try either the MBA or the new MBP if you’re willing to stretch the budget. Nothing to lose and at least you’ll have a real world usage test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2022, 04:43 PM

Get a Lenovo ThinkPad P1 gen 4 or P15. That's their mobile workstation series. It will eat Protools for breakfast every day of the week and whip Premier Pro like a rented mule.

There's really no other option in mobile workstations for a/v work.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 02-15-2022, 05:33 PM

What JC said.
Thinkpad P series. P15 or P17
They also can hold the most RAM of any laptop (up to 128GB RAM)
Old 02-16-2022, 01:40 AM

Quote:

Really? Interesting! Even with only 8Gb RAM? I'm worried about being able to cope with lots of virtual instruments simultaneously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
But if the OP is looking at Windows laptops with 64GB RAM, then the MBA which tops out at 16GB might not fit the bill.

I’d take advantage of the 14 day return policy Apple offers and try either the MBA or the new MBP if you’re willing to stretch the budget. Nothing to lose and at least you’ll have a real world usage test.
Ah, thanks for letting me know about this policy, that's very good to know. With money as no object, you'd definitely pick a MB over windows laptop? As you say, they are significantly more expensive, but I'm wondering if lesser specs actually mean similar performance because they are better integrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Get a Lenovo ThinkPad P1 gen 4 or P15. That's their mobile workstation series. It will eat Protools for breakfast every day of the week and whip Premier Pro like a rented mule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
What JC said.
Thinkpad P series. P15 or P17
They also can hold the most RAM of any laptop (up to 128GB RAM)
Thanks very much, I will look into these too.

Cheers!
Old 02-21-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post

What about Dell New XPS 15 or 17?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 02-24-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, RAM works differently on Silicon, 16GB is more like 32+GB.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Remember, RAM works differently on Silicon, 16GB is more like 32+GB.
No. This is wrong.