Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 02:01 PM

Default DUY Valve + L2 for mastering?

I'm finishing up a remix that I have to master myself and usually I just slap an L2 on the end after doing what is basically Charles Dye's mixing process in "Mix It Like A Record."

So, prior to "mastering" the mix bus looks like: Analog Channel, URS 1970 comp, DUY Tape, and DUY Wide.

I started a new session to do the mastering and I put on L2 and started a-bing between big label professionally mastered stuff. Well, my mix sounds a little sterile even though I spent a lot of time getting the EQ just right. Need more of that analog saturation.

So, I slapped on a DAD Valve with the Mix Preset, didn't adjust anything else. It sounds less sterile, fatter, and pretty close to what I want. However, it's still a little muddy so I'm seeing what I can figure out.

Anyone use DUY Valve for mastering or have any suggestions for a pretty transparent plug to saturate a mix a bit more?
Old 08-25-2006, 02:17 PM

Default Re: DUY Valve + L2 for mastering?

Hi,

Have you tried thoroughly with analogue channel 2? this can work well at the end of the chain to put a little life back into the mix?

Are you sure you haven't over done the mix bus processing! its easy to restrain the life in the mix with too much processing! try runnning a mix off with no mix bus processing! this leaves more options for the mastering stage.

Try the DUY magic spectrum pro www.duy.com placed after analoge channel 1. followed by an L3 or L2. also Sony Oxform inflator can be good for some styles to ad a more analogue sound. and cranesong phoenix can work well also.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:26 PM

DUY Valve is a great plugin, but I usually use it during the mix process. It does use up some chips, so if you can't use it on every track, put it on the main ones like the kik, snare, bass,vocals, prominent instruments. Phoenix tape works great at the end of each track, I wouldn't necessarily put it on the mix buss. But Inflator is a great mix buss tool as is AC1.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:51 PM

I would encourage you to try one of the Cranesong Phoenix on the mix bus and just an L2/L3. Unless you could get some real analog compressor to include in the chain. Didn't try the new Duy. Also Inflator sounds very good imho.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:24 PM

I would second the AC 2 on the mix buss.
I have some AC 2 settings to recommend for a start on the mix buss: (Very Charles Dye)
Input 5.0
Rolloff 60.9
Bump 33.0
Swiss
Bias 9.0
30 ips
IEC2
Output 0.7

I also have AC1, SSL comp, (Impact works nice too) and DUY Wide on the mix buss.

Take care
Old 08-27-2006, 02:42 AM

Quote:

Have you tried thoroughly with analogue channel 2? this can work well at the end of the chain to put a little life back into the mix?

I love the way you put this....first you kill your mix...and then the "analog" revival stage

It all traces back to the early 80'ies...when the Aphex Aural Exciter came out. A miracle box to add presence and clarity

We are always looking for shortcuts

iMac27 i9 3.6 (late 2019) / 64 GB Ram / OS 10.15.7
Apollo 8 / PT Ultimate 2020.9.1