Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 02:42 AM

Default HUI Problems...Going out on 1 side alot now!!!

For some reason my HUI keeps going out on one side and when I tap the back it magically comes back on. Any idea's? Please!!!

Thanx

M2E

Mac G4 Dual 1.25ghz
Pro Tools Mix ++++++
HUI
888/24 & 2 1622's
Event's ASP8's
and 2 amazing ears...!
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 05-30-2006, 06:15 AM

Default Re: HUI Problems...Going out on 1 side alot now!!!

I have one that does that too. It's the audio monitor module. I've taken it out a couple of times and re-soldered the connections to the jacks on the back, which seems to bring temporary relief. It's a lot to disassemble, though. I think the solution is either to replace the module or get another monitor controller. Pity, the HUI works fine otherwise.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I have one that does that too. It's the audio monitor module. I've taken it out a couple of times and re-soldered the connections to the jacks on the back, which seems to bring temporary relief. It's a lot to disassemble, though. I think the solution is either to replace the module or get another monitor controller. Pity, the HUI works fine otherwise.
Could you please give a little insight into getting to that audio monitor system. I would be willing to take the time to see if it will works for me. Also does anyone know of any HUI Mackie maintence guys? I'm in AZ.

Thanx

M2E
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

Old 05-30-2006, 09:17 AM

I have a HUI, which I love. But I couldn't believe the difference in the sound when I switched to a Coleman monitor box. I would only spend money to fix a HUI monitor section if I intended to sell it.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Could you please give a little insight into getting to that audio monitor system. I would be willing to take the time to see if it will works for me. Also does anyone know of any HUI Mackie maintence guys? I'm in AZ.

Thanx

M2E
It's pretty intuitive, but not to be attempted unless you are comfortable dissecting electronic sub-assemblies. The module is mounted on the back of the HUI, the one with all the I/O jacks on it. You have to take the bottom of the HUI off, as well as all the nuts for the jacks, and some other screws.

Mackie can recommend service centers on their web site. Unfortunately, they don't do any repairs themselves, so you're at the mercy of the individual centers as far as pricing and time. A local center in LA said they needed 4-6 weeks to fix it unless I wanted to pay an extra rush fee. I figured I'd be better off buying a Big Knob rather than paying some exhorbitant repair fees. But I have e-mailed Mackie to see what the cost of the module would be from them, so I'll post that info here if they get back to me. Good luck.

Bob
Old 05-30-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I have a HUI, which I love. But I couldn't believe the difference in the sound when I switched to a Coleman monitor box. I would only spend money to fix a HUI monitor section if I intended to sell it.
Really? How much is the Coleman? If you could, give me a link to there website as well.

Thanx

M2E

Old 05-30-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanx

M2E
It's pretty intuitive, but not to be attempted unless you are comfortable dissecting electronic sub-assemblies. The module is mounted on the back of the HUI, the one with all the I/O jacks on it. You have to take the bottom of the HUI off, as well as all the nuts for the jacks, and some other screws.

Mackie can recommend service centers on their web site. Unfortunately, they don't do any repairs themselves, so you're at the mercy of the individual centers as far as pricing and time. A local center in LA said they needed 4-6 weeks to fix it unless I wanted to pay an extra rush fee. I figured I'd be better off buying a Big Knob rather than paying some exhorbitant repair fees. But I have e-mailed Mackie to see what the cost of the module would be from them, so I'll post that info here if they get back to me. Good luck.

Bob
That would be a huge help. I'll check out there website as well. How much are the BIG Knobs going for now? Also will they sound as good or better than the HUI?

Thanx Guys a million.

M2E

Old 05-30-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Really? How much is the Coleman? If you could, give me a link to there website as well.

Thanx

M2E
Here you go - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/manu.../Coleman_Audio

While I'm up, can I fix you a sandwich?
Old 05-30-2006, 03:39 PM

Interested in info for this as well.

The left side was going out last week on the head phone jack. I turned on my external monitors and it kicked on the left side in the head phone. What a piece!

For how expensive it is it sure has a lot of flaws. It's the only piece of "temperamental" equipment I have actually.

I would love some recommends for a replacement to the monitor section or a mod that works better.

Monty
http://www.dimensionzero.com
Old 05-30-2006, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanx

M2E
Here you go - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/manu.../Coleman_Audio

While I'm up, can I fix you a sandwich?
Yes, Peanutbutter and jelly if u don't mind. Make it sloppy....Also if you have anything to drink, that would be great too.

Thanx for the info...

M2E