Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-02-2022, 06:50 PM

Default Does Superior Drummer 3 Read Mini in PT?

Because I can't get it to.

Old set up: PT LE on Windows, SD2.

New set up: Mac Studio M1, Ventura OS (it came with it), MBox Studio, SD3.

Using Roland TD-12 with either.

So...I create an instrument track, load SD3 on it (with the TD-12 preset), a kit selected. If I click a drum on the SD3 interface, I get sound (that's the only way, as it turns out). If I use the pencil to draw midi, I hear no sound and see no visual indication of midi going into SD3. Same if I drag that note all the way up and down (I would get sound on my old setup).* Same if I paste midi from another track and hit play. Same if I hit my Roland TD-12 drum kit, plugged into the MBox Studio, with the track record-enabled.

HOWEVER - when the SD3 standalone app is opened, if I hit a drum on my TD-12, I get the expected sound and visual indication of midi received. This seems to suggest the problem is ProTools. But...

If I create another instrument track, add the PT-supplied mini grand piano instrument, I get a sound on that whether playing midi on it or using the pencil. Same if I plug in my midi-keyboard, record-enable, and tinkle the ivories. So the problem appears to be SD3, but only when it's loaded in ProTools.

In PT, I checked that Midi Thru is enabled. The Midi Input Enable accurately shows MBox Studio is selected. Clock source is set to Internal.

Superior Drummer DOES still read midi data and play it back, right? I've looked through the online docs and there's actually no suggestion it can do this. I admittedly assumed it would (because earlier versions do and it's unthinkable to me that a virtual instrument does not).

I don't know what else to look at. Any ideas? Am I missing something?
Old 12-02-2022, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Does Superior Drummer 3 Read Mini in PT?

Okay I'm going to answer my own question, sort of.

There was something wrong with the instrument track. No idea what. I finally just created a new track and that one worked. I otherwise see nothing different about the bad and good tracks.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:27 PM

Can you please follow the DUC rules and not posting duplicate threads about the same problem.

You already covered this over here: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=422648

This wastes other users time here with folks replying to different threads.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:30 PM

That was no input. This was no output. Rule followed.