Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2008, 12:11 PM

Default Most reliable software for live performance: PT,Cubase, etc?

I’m putting together a DAW (Windows laptop, either Vista or XP), for live performance. It will run the backing tracks, send a click to the drummer, run three soft samplers triggered by MIDI devices, and also for vocal FX. What’s the most reliable software for live performance? Cubase, Abelton Live, ProTools, Tracktion, etc? For backup (if the laptop gets stolen or crashes and burns) I’m going to use an iPOD Nano with a mono mix of all the electronic tracks and a click for the drummer in the other channel. Thinking of using a MOTU 828 USB 2.0 for output.

In the studio I use a Mac Pro Tools TDM system and that’s about all I know.

I have been looking at the other threads somewhat similar to this topic but I would like to discuss one thing, stability.

Thanks for your help,
Old 03-19-2008, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Most reliable software for live performance: PT,Cubase,

So you're thinking LE and not HD? If that's the case then I'd go with Ableton Live. HD is more stable than LE in my experience. Whatever you pick I suggest you really try it out A LOT before going to a live show with it, so you "know" that it won't crash.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Most reliable software for live performance: PT,Cubase,

Quote:
So you're thinking LE and not HD? If that's the case then I'd go with Ableton Live. HD is more stable than LE in my experience. Whatever you pick I suggest you really try it out A LOT before going to a live show with it, so you "know" that it won't crash.
Yes, LE. Thanks for the info. I'll check out Ableton Live. Anyone know how stable Cubase 4 is?