Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-05-2001, 10:53 PM

Default Re: PC - vs - Mac -- A Breakdown For Everyone

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by marcelloz:
Also, if you are not looking for the top configurations or if you have less money to spare, my $500 emachine i466 with 160MB of ram works truely great with the 001.Looks like the deal with the 001 is more a matter of compatibility rather than quality of the host PC.

Good luck

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YOur E-Machine costs only $500? I would love to investigate using it? any problems at all with configuring system? Are they at all expandable.... If I wanted to add SCSI or CDRW ..is that possible? Would like more info on your system. Thanks!

John P

Old 01-05-2001, 10:56 PM

Can you *hear* the difference in the end recording?

Not me. Maybe I suck...

[PC]
Old 01-07-2001, 03:31 AM

OK Folks, here's the word:
Kenn LeGault of Digidesign is currently running the new 1.2GB ATHLON with the Digi001. He's reporting flawless performance at 3 times the best he's ever seen in any MAC! The BEST part of this story is the price: FAR BELOW INTEL OR MAC!!! Load up on memory, load up on hard drive space, and get the new ATHLON! The floating point processing is phenomenal, and it's the key factor in running PTLE. Happy shopping...
Old 01-07-2001, 03:19 PM

I have had both, I got the G4 001 system, and it and never had a problem. I switched a month a go to an 850 PC and I never in my life seen any system crash and freak out so many times. Bottom line_____It all depends on what you are using your computer for. Are you just running PT or are you implementing other software and devices? If you are just running PT and want a reliable machine, go with Mac. Just my 2cents....jq.....

reliability is key, especially when you have a client looking over your shoulder wondering why you can't even get your machine to run.......
Old 01-07-2001, 04:16 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by jayquik:

reliability is key, especially when you have a client looking over your shoulder wondering why you can't even get your machine to run.......
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. However, If you are competent and know what you are doing, or You do not mind the research, You can build a faster PC for less money and make it work flawlessly. I do that as we speak. I am using only Pro Tools and Logic

ASUS p3BF
P3 800
384mb RAM
2 IBM Deskstar 75 GXP (30GB Each)
Asus 50 x CDRom
Iomega Zip650 CDRW
Iomega Zip250 Zip Drive
Digi001
SBLive Value
Steinberg USB-2 MIDI
JV-1010
POD2.0
Pt LE
Logic 4.6.1
Win98SE (With sme tweaks)

Regards

------------------
Yavuz AKYAZICI
Guitar Player
Composer
http://volcanojazz.com
http://myspace.com/volcanojazz
Old 01-08-2001, 02:46 PM

I have never been in a proffessional studio that has even mentioned the word PC. I go to a school of Music tech that spends 20000$ ayear and they have never bought a pC

With 32 bit architecture (PC)the comp
has a floating point representation called single real or 32 bits
1.18X10^-38
with a precision of about seven digits

With 64 bit architecture (MAC uses) called
Doublereal can represent data in the range of
2.23X10^-308
with a precision of about 15 decimal places
on this architecture
larger floating point formats represent numbers with a greater range of precision.
This basicaly means that macs can crunch more raw data at once with more precision. But who realy cares, use what you got, I am just being a resource.

------------------
Switchcraft
Old 01-08-2001, 09:27 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by tgorle:
OK Folks, here's the word:
Kenn LeGault of Digidesign is currently running the new 1.2GB ATHLON with the Digi001. He's reporting flawless performance at 3 times the best he's ever seen in any MAC! The BEST part of this story is the price: FAR BELOW INTEL OR MAC!!! Load up on memory, load up on hard drive space, and get the new ATHLON! The floating point processing is phenomenal, and it's the key factor in running PTLE. Happy shopping...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Should we expect an official announcement in this regard shortly.I will be building a system for Digi 001.So it is important for me.

Old 01-09-2001, 11:49 PM

For anyone interested-memman.com has PC133-128MB RAM for $53 bucks. Yes it works just fine, is fully tested, & has a lifetime warranty. Usually the chips are Micron. I have run memory from memman for years with not a failure.
Old 01-10-2001, 11:28 PM

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH ....

Is anyone making music anymore? Get over it ppl ...

BTW ... I love my mac!