Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2022, 09:43 AM

Default Audio File Naming Issue

Ok, I'm stuck on an issue and looking for some help.

Normally, if I have a file called "Voice-01" and make an edit, it will change the file name to "Voice-01-01"

For some reason, in one specific session I'm working in... instead of going from "Voice-01" to "Voice-01-01" it changes the file name from "Voice-01" to "Voice-08" (not specifically 08 every time).

I work in big sessions with scripts, so If I'm looking for Voice-11 file, but have made an edit that changed it to Voice-19 or whatever... instead of just being able to find Voice-11, I have to search around and refer back the script to confirm Voice-19 is actually Voice-11.

What am I missing? Does it have to do with the fact the producer filed all the audio with a "-" instead of just calling them Voice1?
Old 08-10-2022, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Audio File Naming Issue

It should be sequential, but that sequence can include any versions of the name in memory. Check to see if your Clips bin is showing all clips including auto-created.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 08-10-2022, 11:27 AM

It does act in a sequential manner, but what is does do is erase the original number in the file name. (I am showing Auto-Created)

If the file is called "Tape-01" and I make an edit and there is not another "Tape-02" it will label it "Tape-02". But what I want it to do and how it is in my other sessions is I want pro tools to label it "Tape-01-01" or Tape-01_01.

This is messing with me because If I am looking at a script and want to find Tape24, if I have made an edit that that tape, it will name it something different, rather than just adding to the existing file name
Old 08-10-2022, 01:17 PM

If I have one single clip:

x-1.wav

and split it,

it might show up as

(the first clip) x-1.wav
(the second clip) x-2.wav

and split x-2.wav

it might show up as

(the first clip) x-1.wav
(the third clip) x-3.wav

Then I might delete a clip x-3.wav

Then I might split the remainder of x-2.wav

and it shows up as:

(the first clip) x-1.wav
(the third clip) x-4.wav
((because x-3.wav was another clip it didn't get re-used... this is one possible scenario where the names for clips spread out))

Ultimately!!! The solution is to "Select all" > "Batch rename" > Replace name > xxx-## I have a few batch rename presets for a few common work situations.

VO-001 through VO-621 might get created. This is the ONLY way to assure truly sequential clip naming. "Auto-naming" will ALWAYS introduce some strangeness unless you literally separate clips in an absolutely linear careful progression. I need to match the linear order of clips with a sequential spreadsheet of short voiceovers. This is a really important issue to my work.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 08-11-2022, 06:42 AM

Ok, I get this, but doesn't really solve my problem. I'm really not worried about sequential order, I just don't pro tools to rename the file "Voice-1" to "Voice-2" (or Voice-16/Voice23 or whatever) after I made an edit. In all my other sessions after making an edit to "Voice-1" it changes the file name to "Voice-1-2" rather than "Voice-16 or whatever". Sorry if I'm not articulating this correctly.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:49 AM

I think if you look in your Audio Files folder, you'll find that it's not renaming the file. It names new clips that are created by editing a file on the timeline by adding -nn to the filename.

If your track name is Bob, the first file recorded on it will be named Bob_01. The second file recorded will be named Bob_02.

If you edit the first file on the timeline, it will produce clips - not new files on the drive, just new clips in the session - named Bob_01-01, Bob_01-02, Bob_01-03, etc.

If you edit the second file on the timeline, its clips will be named Bob_02-01, Bob_02-02, Bob_02-03, etc.

That's been true in PT since I started using it with version 3.1 in 1995. If you're seeing a different behavior, it's possible that something is wrong. But it's more likely that your Clips bin is not showing everything for one reason or another. An uncleared Find operation, a sort by something other than clip name, etc.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Ok, I'm stuck on an issue and looking for some help.

Normally, if I have a file called "Voice-01" and make an edit, it will change the file name to "Voice-01-01"

For some reason, in one specific session I'm working in... instead of going from "Voice-01" to "Voice-01-01" it changes the file name from "Voice-01" to "Voice-08" (not specifically 08 every time).

I work in big sessions with scripts, so If I'm looking for Voice-11 file, but have made an edit that changed it to Voice-19 or whatever... instead of just being able to find Voice-11, I have to search around and refer back the script to confirm Voice-19 is actually Voice-11.

What am I missing? Does it have to do with the fact the producer filed all the audio with a "-" instead of just calling them Voice1?
It’s because you’re naming your files with -01. Pro Tools thinks it’s already added the -numeric suffix to a new clip and is replacing it. If your file name were anything other than Voice-01 to begin with, you wouldn’t be seeing this issue. For example. Original file Voice_01. Edited original. Voice_01-01, Voice_01-02, etc.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
It’s because you’re naming your files with -01.
For sure. If you're manually renaming the files themselves to something non-standard, expect chaos.

Old 08-11-2022, 08:25 AM

Yes the issue is probably the use of a "-". That is how PT names auto created clips. If it's worked for you in the past I can't explain that. But I usually use an underscore or simply a space.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:11 AM

Thanks all... Yup it's the "-" in the file name. Will be telling our producers not to file tape with "-" in the name.