Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-1999, 10:39 AM

Default cursor icon disappears

howdy folks.

what makes my cursor icon (i-beam, grabber, whatever) accidentally revert back to the pointer? i'll be cruising along, editing like crazy, and i'll notice the cursor has changed back to the pointer, or sometimes even into a weird 'brundle-fly' of two icons (like half i-beam and half pointer). for example, i'll move over a mute button in the edit window, but the cursor will still be the grabber, or whatever. or, it'll change to the pointer correctly, but then stay as the pointer when i move back over the edit window.

right now the simple workaround is to reselect whatever tool i'm using. it's a big pita to click on a region, thinking i'm using the grabber when actually i've got the smart tool selected, and then everything grinds to a halt while it mistakenly tries perform a 42 measure
crossfade across three grouped tracks. sheesh.

i posted this question on daw-mac, and a few people said it happened to them, too, and that it was a documented bug. is this true? where's the documentation?

9600/350
pt m+ 4.3.2
os 8.1
min ext set

tia

john

@>@
-
"
Old 12-15-1999, 10:05 AM

Default Re: cursor icon disappears

24 hours later...still nothing?
Old 12-15-1999, 11:25 AM

any chance you're using kensington?
Old 12-15-1999, 03:48 PM

Yeah, this happens all the time to me also, 9600/300, OS8.1. Been that way since 4.3, and certainly isn't any better with 5.0. I can usually just move the cursor out of the track area and back to fix it, or change tools. Seeing the "wrong" tool is really annoying.
Old 12-15-1999, 05:23 PM

I mentioned this to tech a long time ago. If I have the I beam selected and then go down to the scroll at the bottom of the window and then go back up to the track it turns into and stays the arrow,until I swip the arrow through the track where the solo, record etc is located.This only seems to happen if I'm working in a session where the tracks don't fill the screen all the way to the bottom. Digi tech try this. Create a session with 4 tracks, zoom in a little so that your not seeing the whole song on one screen, select the I beam,then go to the bottom and time scroll a little, you'll notice that the I beam turns into the arrow,.NOW,when you take what is now the arrow back into the track to do some editing, it's still the arrow!! UNTIL you go through tha hastle of swiping it through the tool selector area. This is a little but very annoying bug thats been around a long time. I havn't had the problem mentioned above of the tool changing from I beam to grabber though. Maybe it's part of the smae thing

Craig
Old 12-15-1999, 06:26 PM

Yep, happens to me all the time. I just move the cursor over the timeline area and it turns into the correct tool. It can be annoying when you're working fast w/the multi-tool and you inadvertantly grab/move instead of resize etc.
Old 12-16-1999, 09:51 AM

well, we've heard from eveyone except digi. i wonder how many tech support people read this and passed on it?

i think it would be nice if somebody who gets
paid to answer these questions would at least feign interest and give us the official answer.

in fact, i think digi should maintain a page on the web that lists ALL known bugs and their current status, so we won't have to bother asking them directly every time somebody comes across one.

hmm? well? beuller?
Old 12-16-1999, 10:21 AM
Avid

Yes, this is a known bug and is scheduled to be addressed in the 5.01 release.

Sorry I did not have an immediate response for you. As you might imagine it's pretty hectic around here. I wanted to verify that this was a logged issue before responding.

Bob