Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-10-2000, 11:56 PM

Default Video Capture Cards, Quicktime, Questions...

For those guys out there scoring to Quicktime movies on their G4s...will a video card like the FUSE help take the load off the CPU when playing back a Quicktime movie, or are these things only needed when you are trying to capture video yourself? My clients send me Quicktime movies on a CD, so I don't need to actually get the video into the Mac. But if it helps playback, or eases the load, it would be a good move. Any input appreciated...
Old 11-11-2000, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Video Capture Cards, Quicktime, Questions...

Hi tomhartman

Lets see if I can offer somethings to help you.

For your purposes, playback of quicktime movie for the purposes of scoring music..or mixing..etc..what you are looking for is *framerate*.

I doesn't matter what quality..size the movie is for your purposes..but..it MUST playback at 29.97 or 30 fps..depending on how it was recorded. You don't want to dump a full motion high res full screen movie into PT to edit to. It will bog things down. So, youll be making a "smaller" copy of it to work with..and you can vary anything..except..*the frame rate* which must match the source movie.

What the fuse card would do for you..it ensure that you got a conistant frame rate because the hardware on the fuse card accelerates it.

Now, if you have an AGP graphics slot on your G4 (meaning..a newer one)..your ATI card does have some quicktime accelration..but..its not consistant. It supports all quicktime compatible codecs..and some playback better than others..etc. So, in fact..there could be scenes in your QT movie..that have lots of color/motion that actually fall *below* the 29.97 or 30fps frame rate.

So, you are scoring your music/spotting sounds to inconsistant playback rates.

So, the biggest advantage of the fuse here is..that it will offer you a much more consistant playback frame rate and make for better results. (if it drops frames..it tells you..and..in the year or so Ive used mine..its never had problem with playback)

That said..here are the parameters/gotchas.

The fuse card uses a special codec to playback. This compression codec triggers the fuse..as it identifies it..to kick in and accel the movie. The 2 codecs the fuse will work with are Aurora MJPG (which is its native capture codec) and Apple MJPG.

These codecs will show up in your quicktime movie app so you can save movies or convert movies to and from these codecs..without having to capture them.

Your friend who is sending you the QT movie..can use the Apple MJPG codec..which comes with Quicktime..and send you the QT movie already encoded ready to use. OR, you can take the movie he sends you..and re-save it out..at lower res if necessary..with the same frame rate..but using the Aurora codec to use just for your purposes. You import the samller movie into PT to work with..score your music..then..save out the audio track mix as a QT movie..which you can then..import the audio track back into the original full res QT movie your friend sent you.

Heres the 2nd part
If your friend is sending you a full screen, 30fps, full res movie to work with..youll want to save a copy of it..at much lower res..but..*the same frame rate* to work with in PT.

Importing a large data format movie into PT will bog down PT. The rule of thumb is 1mg per second or less. PT *can* handle slightly larger data rates..depending on how many audio tracks/plugs your trying to use.

Lastly, there are many more freebies with the aurora system (I use it).

For an extra 99 bucks..you can get the FULL version of Adobe Premiere 5.1.
And, it has outputs for TV monitors built on to the card..so you can view the movie your editing in PT on your TV screen (NTSC monitor recommended). Of course..at lower data rates..the movie doens't look as wonderful as the full datarate captures you can make with it..but..its perfect for editing movies.

So, you also get the added benefit of using the fuse as a capture card..which makes great 640x480 captures..full screen, full motion.

The last thing Ill mention is..the fuse does *not* have built in audio. If you are captureing audio from a movie off a VCR ..etc..youll either use the mac built in mini plug..or..in my case..I use the inputs of my AMIII Digi card! Ill also mention that the audio i/o on other cards in this price range sound like dookey..so youll not be using them either.

If you are using an 001..you don't have this option..as..you can only "monitor" other applications.

Anyway..thats the scoop, scoop.

Good luck

dcornutt
Old 11-11-2000, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Video Capture Cards, Quicktime, Questions...

Tom--The PTLE manual recommends that you have a 3rd Hard Drive for video/film. I can imagine that the 3rd drive for just picture images would serve the purpose that a seperate drive to record audio into does..JT
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12