Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2003, 09:30 PM

Default 002 fader communication problem

I have a fairly new 002. Tonight when trying to load ProTools LE, I received a message that ProTools was unable to communicate with the faders, and said if the problem persisted to try "power cycling" the unit. When I got into a session, the faders on the 002 didn't control the ones in LE. Not locked or anything, just not talking. Maybe I've missed it, but I have searched high and low and can't find a definition of "power cycling" anywhere. I found one entry in the Answerbase that talked about holding down the Esc, Display, and Record buttons while powering on the unit, which suggested you would get a dialog saying that defaults are being restored, or something like that. I tried this, got no such "default" message, and the error message and problem is still there. Can anyone help?
Old 09-20-2003, 09:56 PM

Default Re: 002 fader communication problem

Contact Digidesign Customer Service by 'phone on Monday and they'll send you a replacement power harness.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 09-22-2003, 08:40 AM

Rail: Customer service is telling me it is not a power harness problem because the unit goes into Standby. Is that consistent with your experience? They asked me to try restoring defaults and checking the firmware version, which I will do tonight when I get home from work.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:12 AM

CS is correct.. but my unit was intermittent when it failed.. so sometimes it would go to Standy.. and other times it wouldn't.

If the unit consistently works in Standby.. replace your FireWire cable with a quality one.

BTW which FireWire card are you using, and are there any other FireWire devices in the chain?

Rail
Old 09-22-2003, 12:42 PM

My firewire card is Adaptec (my machine is a Carillon Systems AC-1, they built it knowing I was going to be used with the 002). There are no other firewire devices in the chain. Everything worked fine for several months, this just appeared Saturday for the first time.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:40 PM

Actually, I'm not quite sure what firewire card I have. The bill of sale says Adaptec, but the device listed in Device Manager says "NEC."
Old 09-22-2003, 08:02 PM

That's suspicious... I have an Adaptec 4300A.. it's listed in Device Manager as "Texas Instrunents OHCI Complient 1394 Host Controller".

Under the properties->Power management tab.. make sure that it doesn't have the box checked to bring the computer out of standby.

Rail
Old 09-22-2003, 08:20 PM

Mine is listed ad 'NEC OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller." On the Properties/General tab, the Manufacturer is listed as NEC. The box you mentioned is not checked. By the way, the Restore System Defaults trick didn't work. They also had me try and "update" the fader firmware, but all that is available is V105a. When I try to find the version on the 002 (F1/info/fadr/select), it says X.XX. I tried to download the V105a, but ProTools tells me I have V107 (I think that got installed when I installed LE 6.1. When I tell it to go ahead, it says that the download failed. This is driving me nuts.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:28 PM

'power cycling' just means turning the unit off, then turning it back on.

I just tried the 'reset defaults' sequence on my 002, it worked as expected. Are you sure you were pressing the correct keys? Esc and Display are near the 'channel view' label, and rec is two buttons below display. Power off, hold all three down, turn on the power, and continue holding them until you get the message.

It would be handy if you had another Firewire device around, to see if the interface (in the computer) has died, or the cable, or if it's the 002.

Since it worked for months, then changed, I doubt a firmware update is the cure; and the fact that the firmware update failed suggests something is wrong somewhere in the firewire chain.

If it was me, I'd try a different cable, a firewire drive, a different firewire card. That's easy for me to say, since I have spares of each (and even another Firewire audio interface.)

Old 09-23-2003, 07:28 PM

Rail and tele: Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it. Unfortunately, nothing has worked and we are in the "Return Authorization" mode. There is definitely something wrong with the 002.