Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-18-2023, 02:05 PM

Default Fastest alternative for jumping between different locations during ongoing playback.

Hi,

Ok another nut to crack.

Now, I know one can do it by placing around Memory Locations along the song and then clicking on them (or by clicking on them in the Memory Locations list) while the song is playing, but that is too much of a microscope probing.

So I wonder, is it possible to have the playback ON and without any breaks jump around in the same manner like with the Memory Locations but instead by selecting clips with the Grabber Tool? Or if not, then at least by placing the Selector Tool at different places.

Regards!

Last edited by DigitalVortex; 03-20-2023 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Alternative for jumping between different locations during ongoing playback.

I would use the numeric keypad and Memory Locations. Are you hip to the method there?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-18-2023, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Alternative for jumping between different locations during ongoing playback.

Clicking in timeline ruler, above the tracks in the edit window, automatically jumps to that point, also during playback. (The ruler w/bars,beats or min,sec, whatever you have it set to.)
Old 03-19-2023, 03:53 AM

Don’t forget about dynamic transport.
You can single click (or double click, to create a selection; loopable if you want)
and playback will start immediately from wherever you drop the cursor in the edit window.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I would use the numeric keypad and Memory Locations. Are you hip to the method there?
Ok, I have researched this. Well, yes, it's an option, but it's too much wanking on the numeric pad. ",01," ",02," ",03," etc.

Unless it's possible to set/key-bind it to work with one-buton-push per Location. Like: "1" "2" "3" etc.

Anyway, if someone would need albee1952's suggestion, it's here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhMuQddjcHI

Thanx, man!
Old 03-19-2023, 10:00 AM

EURECA!!!

elicious 's suggestion led in consequence to the solution for what I was seeking. Fantastic!

1. Options / "Dynamic Transport" (selected)
2. "Link Timeline and Edit Selection"-button (selected)
3. "Grabber Tool (Time)"-button (selected)

Now you can have the playback ON and jump around by selecting Clips.

What did I need this for exactly
I am receiving bunches of unrelated guitar riffs as waves from a guy, although recorded to metronome and specific tempo. I arrange whole songs by fitting and organizing the riffs. Now having this function solved, this is gonna be SO much easier, faster and composing effective!