Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2023, 02:11 PM

Default Upgrade to Rackmount

Hello all,

I currently have Pro Tools 11 (non-HD) on Windows 10 with a Fast Track Solo

I have a normal rackmount unit which is largely empty at the moment, is there any interface I can replace the fast track solo with ideally I need controls at the front and an EQ display if possible and should be the width of a standard rackmount unit.

Thanks
Just starting out again after a while due to life problems so any help is appreciated.
Old 02-13-2023, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Upgrade to Rackmount

Are you literally just trying to fill rack space? If not then what exactly do you want in a "upgrade"?

Almost no interfaces have an EQ display. Many have some form of input and/or output level or at least some kind of clipping display.

There is a huge number of rack mount interfaces, none will be at the low-end price point or very basic feature set of a Fast Track Solo. And we have no idea what additional features are important to you, or your budget. I can highly recommend some Prism or RME Audio gear, but I suspect you are going to blanche at the ~tens of thousands of dollars prices.

Why not start by just looking at what is available from a dealer. e.g. https://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html and if you have clear specific questions ask them here.
Old 02-13-2023, 02:31 PM

Thanks so much, was just looking for a rackmount version of an interface with as you said clipping indicators.

I want to replace my fast track solo with some thing better so i can add more inputs and outputs.

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2023, 02:41 PM

To really give good advice, we need to know your budget and your needs(how many inputs, outputs, headphones, preamps.....)?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-13-2023, 02:45 PM

Yes but you give *no* guidance, prices will go from around $500 per box to >$10,000. So what do you need/want exactly? How many line inputs, line outputs, mic preamps, DI inputs, what Digital I/O (S/PDIF, ADAT, MADI, etc.). (I usually recommend looking for interface with ADAT input to at least let you add a 8x ADAT mic preamp later). How sophisticated hardware monitoring/mixing do you want in the interface? What interface to the computer do you want/can your computer support? USB 2, USB 3.0, ..., Thunderbolt 2, Thunderbolt 3, ...?

If you don't know what all this means... you need to find out now, go do some reading.

Many interfaces nowadays will come with 2, 4, or 8 preamps and you need to add outboard analog or digital (ADAT) preamps to them.

There are many great brands out there, I'm a big fan of RME Audio, they are not bargain priced but you often get what you pay for and their TotalMix hardware mixer is fantastic as is their long term engineering support and customer support. Universal Audio, MOTU, Focusrite, Presonus, ... and others but there are several not listed that I would stay away from... largely on poor long term product support and customer support.