Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2015, 05:40 AM

Default Suggestions for a Pro Tools Alternative.

Hey guys. As I understand it, and because I probably won't be able to afford it, Pro Tools will soon become virtually,(pardon the pun), unavailable to me due to the new direction that Avid is taking. So I can hold on to Pro Tools 9, which has no future upgrades and no support from Avid or I can move on to an alternative software program. It's been a real struggle for me to just attain my current level of understanding and navigation skills and I fear that starting over may not be a viable option. I am hoping for a DAW software program that's as close to Pro Tools feature wise as possible. I've visited several competitors web sites to try to make a decision but it's all about advertising
so I'm asking you guys that have had hands on experience with other DAW software. I'm guessing but I'm probably beyond the remedial level but bare in mind I'm a little slow mentally. My MIDI usage is limited to the use of ezdrummer files drag & drop to PT's. My needs are basically recording mixing and editing audio. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:46 AM

Hey Terry, my 2 cents, but..learning any new DAW seems tougher after already learning any OTHER DAW. Its the differences that confound

Having said that, there still are some options to think about, including sitting tight with PT9 as it really covers all your needs. Reaper is cheap and can be "skinned" to look like PT. And, iIRC, Studio one(Presonus) can be set to use most PT-style shortcuts. In truth, all the major DAW's are capable of doing most anything, but I would not feel bad about sticking with 9 at all. There are a number of studios in Nashville that are still running 9(and some are running older)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-20-2015, 07:39 AM

Well $199 to upgrade to PT12 will certainly be cheaper than buying any other DAW flat out, except Reaper.

Why not go ahead (assuming your computer is up to spec) and buy the PT12 upgrade for $199? That will give you a PT10,11,12 license, with Support for One Year - meaning ALL upgrades will be available to you for the full year.

After the year is out if you do not wish to continue updating, fine, you will still have PT12 with all those updates you accumulated over the year to use FOREVER.

Doing that will not only give you a perpetual license to PT12 as well as all updates for a year, but it will also buy you time in deciding if you want to stick with PT or not. It will give you time to learn something else and then decide.

Just my .000002 cents

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-20-2015, 09:54 AM

learning any new DAW seems tougher after already learning any OTHER DAW. Its the differences that confound.
That how I thought it might be albee. I guess you have a good point and just staying with PT's 9 may be what I wind up doing. Thanks for the sound advice.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:03 AM

Thanks Benoni. So am I misunderstanding the Avid direction? Your saying that for $199.00 I get 10,11 and 12 with any upgrades for one year with no support subscription? Does that include the iLoc? If so it sounds great! The only problem is my current pc will hardly handle 9 and a new pc or mac is out of the question right now. Still I appreciate your advice. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:27 AM

Demo anything that looks interesting then decide

Studio one has a new version starting today
http://studioone.presonus.com

Cubase 8

etc...
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 05-20-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Thanks Benoni. So am I misunderstanding the Avid direction? Your saying that for $199.00 I get 10,11 and 12 with any upgrades for one year with no support subscription? Does that include the iLoc? If so it sounds great! The only problem is my current pc will hardly handle 9 and a new pc or mac is out of the question right now. Still I appreciate your advice. Thanks.
The purchase of the upgrade from PT9 to PT12 includes the Support Plan.

The Support Plan is different from the Subscription (maybe not in theory, but in action)

With the SUBSCRIPTION you buy per month or per year and the license is temporary. It lasts as long as your subscription.

With the Support Plan you get a Perpetual License. The license is yours forever. If you do not renew your support plan by the time it expires then you lose your "upgrade rights" so to speak, but the license continues to function forever. There may be some other things with the Avid Cloud that require an active subscription.... I don't know, it hasn't been released yet. BUT you will have PT12 with all the updates that come with it forever, even if you do not renew.

You will need to purchase the iLok 2 separately. When I need an iLok 2 I look to SlateDigital.com and see if there are any plugins that include an iLok 2 for free.

I hear ya about your current system. Pro Tools 12 has some requirements you must meet - 64bit OS, 4GB Ram, ect... http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...m-Requirements

However, you could use PT10. The system requirement are not much or any different from PT9 aside from OS I think.

If you want to learn a new DAW that is inexpensive then Reaper is the way to go. Studio One 3 Artist is $99 and looks pretty cool, but it's very limited, full version is $399. It really depends on what you do. Reason 8.2 is pretty cool, Sonar isn't bad, haven't used Cubase in a long time but I've heard good things.

A lot of these DAWs have free trials, so why not set aside a week or two, download several DAWs and then hop on YouTube and learn the basics of how each operates.

I've used other DAWs, testing the new Studio One 3 right now, but I ALWAYS come back to Pro Tools, it just feels like home. Your results may vary.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-20-2015, 02:21 PM

If I read correctly, Studio One has a new free version to give you a taste of how it works. A big +1 for buying something from SLATE that includes a free iLok(I really like the VMR and it has zero latency for tracking) As with ANY update, be it a new version of PT, or a demo of some other DAW, protect your ASSets by saving a drive image BEFORE any new installs, or clone your system drive to a another drive, and swap the cloned drive into your computer. If things go sour, swap the drives back and you are up and running in minutes

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-21-2015, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
You'd have to provide your own iLok2 and that's not that expensive. Sometimes Slate Digital has a sale that also includes a free iLok2.

As to other daws that will run on your machine that apparently has limited power Digital Performer has a history of running very well on 'experienced' (aka older) machines. Currently at DP 8.07 with DP9 due to drop anytime and if you buy now you'll be in the grace period for the free upgrade. The crossgrade prices is $395 for qualifying software and there is a bunch of stuff that qualifies for that. DP runs on both Mac and Windows. There's a fully functional 30 day trial; no iLok needed as DP authorizes to one's computer.

DP has a whole host of things that PT doesn't at this point in time. Track freeze for one. Unlimited number of tracks (as many as one's computer can handle). A way better MIDI implementation than PT. Surround sound routing if you want it. Working video tracks. Being there is only one version of DP (unlike PT with HD and vanilla) all features are available to everyone. Oh yeah - a printed manual that's huge (900+ pages) as well as a printed getting started guide. There are pdf's of the manuals as well. The big user manual is available online via a Google search as MOTU hasn't posted it on their own site.

I've been using DP alongside PT for a while now and there is a learning which I won't deny but it's not insurmountable. Groove 3 has a couple of videos on DP8 and there's stuff on YouTube. There is a user-run website called Motunation but be aware - they are very much an RTFM first site and if you go on the forum asking a question that could be answered by reading the manual they will have you for lunch.

QAPLA!
Old 05-21-2015, 01:12 PM

presonus does not have a free version. (EDIT: i think they do now) only artist version and pro version of S1v3 (no more producer version). they do have a free demo that will last 30 days of the new v3 for people to try out if they are interested. cheers

KNOT HARDLY PRODUCTIONS LLP*
Knot Hardly Esquire
Farcebook Twatter

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Window$10 FX4300 MSI970A-G46 16Gb AMD7870
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

*a Limited Liability Persona

Last edited by knothardly; 07-26-2015 at 06:42 AM.