Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 07-26-2020, 04:29 AM

Default MTRX Studio with HD I/O

In the manual of MTRX studio there one sentence only about connecting MTRX Studio with HD I/O:

"MTRX Studio can be configured as either two Primary audio interfaces (Pri/Pri) with both DigiLink Mini ports connected to an HDX or HD Native card, or as a Primary audio interface and an Expansion audio interface (Pri/Exp) with the primary DigiLink Mini port connected to an HDX or HD Native card and the second DigiLink Mini port connected to another audio interface (such as an HD I/O)"

Can someone (Jeff maybe?) explain how you connect Digilink Mini port to HD I/O.
Obviously you can connect HD I/O to HDX or Native card and the interface will be visible in Pro Tools, but that's not how this manual is proposing, Digilink to HD I/O.

Also would it be possible in this scenario to use HD I/O with DADman, without Pro Tools running?
Old 07-26-2020, 06:40 AM
Avid

Default Re: MTRX Studio with HD I/O

Greetings,

When interfacing MTRX Studio with HDX or HD Native, there are a few different ways you can deploy.

1. With a single HDX or HDN, connect both 32-channel DigiLink ports to both ports on the engine card for 64 channels of IO - which could be any complement of analog, ADAT or Dante. DigiLink Mode = Pri/Pri.

2. Connect one 32-channel DigiLink cable from port 1 of HDX or HDN to port 1 on MTRX Studio for 32 channels of IO. DigiLink Mode = Pri/Pri. Connect additional (up to 2) Avid IO to the 2nd port of HDX or HDN.

3. Connect one DigiLink cable from port 1 of HDX or HDN to port 1 on MTRX Studio for 16 channels of IO when in Pri/Exp mode. Connect port 2 of MTRX Studio (expansion) to primary port on HD IO. Each interface is providing 16 channels of IO for 32 channels total. In this scenario, 2 additional Avid IO could be connected to port 2 of the HDX or HDN engine.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 07-26-2020, 08:59 AM

Thank Jeff, that was swift response on Sunday, much appreciated.

I have HDX 2.

What I want to achieve is to use my DK(5.1) and RTW(2.0) AES/EBU meters together with MTRX Studio. Is this possible and can it be used without Pro Tools running?

I did try all three possibilities but no success. In the last option which drastically reduce the amount of I/O, from 80 to 32, but I did try and I made two Meter sets in mon. profile and send those to Digilink 25-32 where my meters are connected, I can see in DADman configuration matrix that there is signal coming in but the meters are not responding. What I see is that every time I close the Pro Tools, HD I/O clock jumps to INT 192khz. I tried many possibilities with Word clock from MTRX, (also changed to word clock base), from SyncHD...doesn't work.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:05 AM
Avid

Greetings,

If you are trying to use AES IO resources on a HD IO from DADman, no you can’t do that. HD IO requires Pro Tools to be launched to access the IO unless you are using it as a Core Audio device. MTRX Studio is a stand-alone converter and a router in addition to being a Pro Tools interface and a monitor controller.

Regarding the 192kHz behavior, simply open Audio MIDI Setup (with Pro Tools quit), click on HDX, and change the sample rate from 192kHz to your most commonly used rate. This way when you quit Pro Tools it will stay at the same rate.

Jeff

MTRX FAQ
Old 07-26-2020, 09:35 AM

Thank you Jeff, that is the answer I kind of expected after trying all this configurations. It does make sense in the end. Anyone knows of the cheap way to go Adat to AES?

Other thing I want to ask after two days of setting up MTRX Studio is:

How could I use Avid control (have Dock as well) to Solo/Mute speakers in 7.1.4. configuration?
Old 07-26-2020, 09:44 AM
Avid

Here’s a few options:

https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-4-dd.html
ADAT to AES

https://www.audinate.com/products/devices/dante-avio
AES to Dante

I would recommend perhaps the technique of creating solo presets using the Fold matrix in the DADman monitor profile to quickly solo chunks of speakers for Atmos:

https://youtu.be/CLKimIvoNa0

Jeff

MTRX FAQ
Old 07-26-2020, 10:31 AM

Nice1 Jeff, and is there some way of using soft keys and also using OSC to get mutes and solos?
Old 07-26-2020, 11:27 AM
Avid

You have the following options:

The Monitoring tab of Avid Control includes dedicated switches for individual speakers. Based on the preference and logic - you can either touch one speaker to solo it or touch multiples in summing mode to hear a subset.

I still think it is extremely handy, ala that video, to create a nice collection of solo shortcuts such as:
Elevation Speakers
LCR
Quad
Side + Rear Surrounds
Etc.

These will show up on the bottom of the Monitoring tab in Avid Control. I believe you can have up to 16 of them which can be scrolled.

These are simply FoldDown functions which appear as Surface soft keys under EuControl.

Jeff

MTRX FAQ
Old 07-26-2020, 12:39 PM

Yes indeed, these are really handy shortcut to have them in the monitoring page. Mutes would also be nice to have but Is there a way to program these fold downs in the soft keys pages?
Old 07-26-2020, 01:38 PM
Avid

Yes, the video details the process. There’s a tab under DADman > Settings > Monitor Profile > FoldDown.

Jeff

MTRX FAQ