Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2015, 09:12 PM

Default SC48 shuts down and restarts on its own.

SC48 shuts down and restarts on its own.

I got a call Sunday from my contact at a church with an SC48 (permanent install) telling me that it turned off and on again by itself during the Pastors sermon. I had them call the Avid support hot line.

One power supply is plugged directly into the house power and the other one is plugged into a UPS. I think the UPS is the kind that is always running off of the battery. He said that they didn’t have any error messages. The monitor that is also plugged into the UPS went off first and then the console shut down but it turned itself back on. I got the impression that it did this quickly. How quickly I don’t know.

Support had him do a few things and when he unplugged the power supply that was plugged into the UPS (so it was only running off of the power supply into house power) the board did the same thing again. Shut down and came back on. So it sounds like the power supply plugged into the house power is having a problem. So the only thing that makes sense to me would be that they had a power glitch (that they didn’t notice) and the UPS isn’t working properly causing the board to shut down because the other power supply is flaky.

They have ordered a new power supply from Avid and I am told it will arrive later this week. They have a service Wednesday night and I was wondering what would be best to do before the new supply arrives. I am leaning towards telling them that we should remove the bad supply and run off of just the one and plug it into the house power not the UPS. Does the supply just unplug from the console after removing some capture screws or do you have to open the whole thing up to change power supplies?

One other thing to add, the fellow told me that he has been hearing the fans cycling up and down for quite a while now. I asked him why is he only telling me this now. I don’t know if he told support about that. He wants me to open it up and check to see if it is clogged with dust at all and clean it out just to be safe. They seem to be pretty independent lately and didn’t seem to want their hand held on this stuff so lately they only call me when something at the church isn’t working right.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:13 AM
Avid

Default Re: SC48 shuts down and restarts on its own.

Hi,

Removing the PSU altogether will require quite a bit of disassembly. Would suggest simply leaving the IEC disconnected and letting the console idle for a few hours to see if it remains powered on.

Sheldon
Old 10-06-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Radford View Post
Hi,

Removing the PSU altogether will require quite a bit of disassembly. Would suggest simply leaving the IEC disconnected and letting the console idle for a few hours to see if it remains powered on.

Sheldon
Thank you, I guess that means that the power supply doesn't just pop out.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:01 AM

We changed the power supply and so far so good. I was informed it made it thru the service last night at the church and everything worked just fine.

It can be a long and tedious task to change out a power supply. If I ever had to do one again I could do it a lot quicker. If I remembered all of the techniques.