How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2011, 05:09 AM

Default Re: PT9, ASIO issue on Windows 7, w Focusrite Saffire 56

Hi dcisw,

Tried ASIO4all too. It looks PT9 works more stable. I didn't get the message of the ASIO device properties and to restart PT.
Even the new 2.4b2 driver of Focusrite didn't work properly on my system.
I hope Focusrite en Avid will come with a solution soon.

Best regards,
Milko
Old 06-06-2011, 07:36 AM

Hi folks.

I'm a newbie here and this is my first post. Would like to add some more to the 'inofficial problem record' about PT9 versus audio interface. Since I upgraded to PT9 I switched to my old M-audio FW410 because my mbox2 mini never seemed to work properly. Or I should say, the (USB-family) driver appears to be useless. Anyway, the old M-audio (and driver) have worked perfectly without a glitch.

A few days ago I got my new TC Impact Twin and I must say what a difference in sound quality! This audio interface is really good. BUT.....now I seem to qualify in the "ASIO device properties have been changed...." gang.
PT is unable to change audio clock between sessions with different sample rate. Well, this issue is easy to fix. I just convert everything to 48khz.
I have disabled the TC in the sound control panel in order to use TC exclusively with PT. All other stuff is routed to my Mbox2 mini which occasionally craps out now and then but it is a minor problem.

I still run into problem if I start Firefox when PT is running. PT halt with message like "Problem detected yada yada..." and Firefox freezes up.

I have tried different FW controller card, there is no difference if I use VIA chip or TI chip. Disabled internal soundcard etc etc….

Hopefully Avid is working on a fix because I really like PT.

Cheers

Intel i5, ASUS 1156, Win7 64.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:18 PM

Angry Re: PT9, ASIO issue on Windows 7, w Focusrite Saffire 56

Ahhhhh it's not working for me!!

I've tried a slew of options to remedy this issue, but no dice. I've tried changing the firewire driver in the device manager (suggestion by Focusrite), I've tried reinstalling PT 9, tried loading Win to a previously saved image file BEFORE PT was installed, so there wasn't any registry/driver confusion then installing, I've tried disabling the network adapter, but then I get the error "No ilok authorization found", as if it needs to connect to the internet to recognize my ilok... So I would start PT with the network on, then quickly disable when it loaded, still got the ASIO error. I don't know man, the things I do to try and use PT with a PC. I had PT 8 working, but it didn't cause me this much grief.

I think the next thing I'm going to do is revert back to the image file before PT was installed AGAIN, but use another one of the three firewire drivers available. I mean I tried reverting to the other drivers before, but it was when PT was already installed, I thought maybe the hardware might have to be installed with the correct firewire driver BEFORE PT is installed, but it didn't work for the TI driver that came with my gigabyte ud3r mobo. So I guess I'll go back to the image file, load the legacy driver, and then install PT 9 and see what happens (pain in my ass).

I do have another concern though, are we supposed to have the interface on when PT installs? Last time I installed the firewire driver and interface drivers before PT like it said to, but I kept it unplugged and off through the PT installation. Then I turned it on so I could try and open a session, I dont remember if I got the ASIO error (I think I did), but then I shut it down, unplugged the interface and installed the 9.0.3 update. Was able to mess around for a while, until I opened a session file with a different I/O setup (well the names on the channels were different but it still recognized the Focusrite), worked for a little bit then error came up when I inserted a time adjuster plugin.

I don't think the error comes up when inserting specific plugins, just a matter of time till PT wants to kick you off. So I don't know. If any of you know if you're supposed to have the interface on or off during installation, as well as update install, please let me know. As far as the PT instructions go, it doesn't say to do it either way. PLEASE HELP!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:10 PM

I did a little experimenting. Check it out.

Be careful with Focusrite + PT 9 + Win 7.. MANY people get ASIO errors with that combo, myself included. I have a very similar build to yours and I get the errors all the time. I've searched the web for HOURS trying to fix the issue and nothing I have tried has fixed it. I may have found a solution, however, which is what has brought me to DUC today. After doing some more research, it seems that many people think the graphics card may be screwing with Win 7 audio properties in the background. What I was going to do first was uninstall the current driver for my NVIDIA GE Force 210 card, then install the latest one, but I decided to do a little experiment.. I unistalled the driver, but never reinstalled the new one.. started PT 9 and was going to mess around and see if the error popped up... was in there for at least an hour and no errors. A lot of times too, right before the error happens the audio will distort a little bit.. interesting thing is I heard the audio distort a couple times but no ASIO error. Now, I'm crossing my fingers that this is the solution, but everyone seems to think they have the solution to this problem and then they end up posting an hour later that it was still happening. Here's a list of things people "thought" were the solution. And while some may have worked, it's not the end-all fix.

- Disable internet connection and win sound card before using PT
- Set sample rate of project in Saffire Mix Control before opening PT
- Get diff Firewire interface (one that is TI manufactured)
- Some crazy combination/order of installing interface/ilok/PT

Those are the main ones, but none have worked for me, except this hour long session I just had with no graphic card driver.

BTW, maybe I'm just inexperienced but Saffire Mix Control was confusing as hell for me to understand... I still don't fully understand it, but if you're pretty well versed in audio routing you'll be fine. Your Giga mobo prob has a TI firewire chip so don't worry about a new interface. It's still a good idea to set sample rate of your project in mix control before opening PT.. ASIO error or not it will make you restart. Other than that, there's your rundown for Focusrite + PT 9 + Win 7, in my experience. Hope it helps.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:03 AM

Does anybody here got the ASIO problems solved by upgrading to PT10?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhall View Post
Does anybody here got the ASIO problems solved by upgrading to PT10?
I won't dare make the switch yet.. not after what I've been going through with PT 9. Are you getting the ASIO error too? I've probably invested like 10 hours trying to fix this... Every time I think I've got it, the error creeps back in. I've started to monitor my processes/services when the error comes up.. so I've been disabling/deleting the ones that show up right when the problem happens. the first few didn't help, but now I've found a process called "splwow64*"... I guess it's some kind of process that has to do with printers being able to work in the background, but it's weird that it only comes up when the ASIO error happens.. so I deleted it this morning, and I haven't had the error yet. I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obe1 View Post
I won't dare make the switch yet.. not after what I've been going through with PT 9. Are you getting the ASIO error too? I've probably invested like 10 hours trying to fix this... Every time I think I've got it, the error creeps back in. I've started to monitor my processes/services when the error comes up.. so I've been disabling/deleting the ones that show up right when the problem happens. the first few didn't help, but now I've found a process called "splwow64*"... I guess it's some kind of process that has to do with printers being able to work in the background, but it's weird that it only comes up when the ASIO error happens.. so I deleted it this morning, and I haven't had the error yet. I'll keep everyone updated.
Yes I'm using a TC Impact Twin and getting ASIO error all the time, it's a pain in a--. Ridicolous because PT seems to be the only DAW having this problem. It should'nt be an issue, all other soundsource / drivers disabled or not!

Splwow64 seems to be involved in 64bit conversion to spool. To be sure, did you mean delete/terminate the process, stop process or did you actually delete the exe-file?

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=314619
Old 01-03-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Yes I'm using a TC Impact Twin and getting ASIO error all the time, it's a pain in a--. Ridicolous because PT seems to be the only DAW having this problem. It should'nt be an issue, all other soundsource / drivers disabled or not!

Splwow64 seems to be involved in 64bit conversion to spool. To be sure, did you mean delete/terminate the process, stop process or did you actually delete the exe-file?

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=314619
Oh I know... But since PT is the industry standard, and many people are already comfortable with the program, people will still put up with this nonsense... well people like myself who won't spend over $2000 on a Mac, and are nerdy and like to build their own computers.

I actually deleted it. I think I've gone insane. I don't print that often, and if it becomes an issue I'll just reinstall the print driver and I'm sure everything will be fine. Turns out that wasn't the culprit though... the error came back at random last night. I'm afraid to keep deleting/terminating processes though.. I'm also wondering if the issue could have something to do with my HDDs. I mean don't get me wrong, I have WD Blacks, but one of the drives is SATA 6gbs... maybe the drivers for that are creating conflict.. But then again, I can remember times where the ASIO error would pop up before I even opened a session, so that can't be it. It's like whenever the problem initially arises, I'll shut down PT, then it will come back for like the next 10/15 min at random when I reopen, then it won't come back for a little longer, at random.. REALLY, REALLY, WEIRD. Whatever it is, it causes a HUGE latency spike as soon as it happens.

One day I'll figure it out.. I'll have to, because I've already tried so many other solutions that I'm running out of drivers/process to delete lol
Old 01-03-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obe1 View Post
Oh I know... But since PT is the industry standard, and many people are already comfortable with the program, people will still put up with this nonsense... well people like myself who won't spend over $2000 on a Mac, and are nerdy and like to build their own computers.

I actually deleted it. I think I've gone insane. I don't print that often, and if it becomes an issue I'll just reinstall the print driver and I'm sure everything will be fine. Turns out that wasn't the culprit though... the error came back at random last night. I'm afraid to keep deleting/terminating processes though.. I'm also wondering if the issue could have something to do with my HDDs. I mean don't get me wrong, I have WD Blacks, but one of the drives is SATA 6gbs... maybe the drivers for that are creating conflict.. But then again, I can remember times where the ASIO error would pop up before I even opened a session, so that can't be it. It's like whenever the problem initially arises, I'll shut down PT, then it will come back for like the next 10/15 min at random when I reopen, then it won't come back for a little longer, at random.. REALLY, REALLY, WEIRD. Whatever it is, it causes a HUGE latency spike as soon as it happens.

One day I'll figure it out.. I'll have to, because I've already tried so many other solutions that I'm running out of drivers/process to delete lol
I think the problem is built inside PT. My system is clean from any other sound devices / applications...at least I hope so but I'll check with Sandra. If switch back to my old mbox and m-audio devices PT works flawless.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I think the problem is built inside PT. My system is clean from any other sound devices / applications...at least I hope so but I'll check with Sandra. If switch back to my old mbox and m-audio devices PT works flawless.
I disabled my avg, and all processes/services that stuck around after and I haven't got the problem all day. I'll keep you posted.