Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 02-07-2018, 04:05 AM

Default Can I use my older model (MIDI) Mackie 8 Channel Master Control with PT12?

Hi guys,

A buddy of mine aquired an older model(all black in colour) Mackie 8 Channel Master Control a few years ago, it's just MIDI and not USB but the wall adapter was missing and he never did manage to get a replacement for it. So, he turned around and gave it to me, I got it free which is awesome but it's totally useless without the external power supply.

There's no model number anywhere on the controller or even on the cardboard box that it came in, a bit weird. So if somebody here can help me figure out what I should be buying for a replacement that would be super appreciated.

BTW. Here is a YouTube video that shows the model that I know own:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwqtSSJSgvE

But since this is a Pro Tools forum, my main reason for posting here is that the info on the box lists all the DAWs that it can be used with and there's a bunch of them. Pro Tools is listed at the very top but there is a note that says:
"visit www.mackie.com for details on the Free pro Tools Compatability Kit"

But that was so long ago that that page doesn't exist anymore over at the Mackie website. And it looks like they don't offer any support for discontinued products. I did send them an email but I'm not going to hold my breath expecting an answer from them to be honest.

Maybe there's something that can be downloaded from Avid for this purpose?

I'm not a tech savvy person in this kind of thing so I'm hoping that somebody here can chime in with some advice.

If I could at least track down a power supply for it, it might work with Pro Tools 12.7.1 right out of the gate without having to chase down some kind of download to get the MIDI mapping to work correctly.

It would be awesome to get this thing set up in my little studio, it's quite a high quality looking piece of gear.

Crucial MX300 525GB SATA 2.5 inch
SATA III SSD

1 TB spinner drive 7200 RPM
Old 02-07-2018, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Can I use my older model(MIDI) Mackie 8 Channel Master Control with PT12?

Search is your friend.

Here's some information as to what DAWs it works with and how.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-07-2018, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Can I use my older model(MIDI) Mackie 8 Channel Master Control with PT12?

You're sure it's not sending MIDI over USB?

In that case, once you get a correctly spec'd PSU, hook up both MIDI in & out, select the unit under the MIDI page of the Peripherals dialogue, and It should work with HUI.

There was a flash update for the Mackie units eprom, that added functionality specifically for Pro Tools.

Search around Mackie forums, here, and places like Gearslutz, to see if you can get the installer - check if it's definitely compatible with your device, and figure out how to install it, this far down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2018, 12:35 PM

Thanks The Weed and Carl, your help is greatly appreciated!

BTW, it looks like the Mackie Forum was axed quite a few years ago.

I noticed earlier today that on the cardboard box that it came in it says "Mackie 2002". So it's pretty old.

There's also a long list of DAWs on there, Pro Tools is number one but with that note about downloading that "Pro Tools compatibility kit".

All of the other listed DAWs are ready to go by the looks of it, just my luck. There is only MIDI in and out on this thing, no USB. On one of the YouTube videos that I found on this unit, the guy explains that you route these over to the MIDI in and out of your digital interface, which I do have on mine.

Without being knowledgeable at all on how to get old hardware to work with Pro Tools 12, I have a gut feeling that it can be made to work, somehow,.... but I have nothing to back up that assertion. LOL.

I'd be happy if I could get most of the functions to work with Pro Tools, the basic stuff like faders. Solo and Mute switches, being able to toggle between the Mix and Edit windows, etc..................

SATA III SSD

Last edited by Burstbucker; 02-07-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:51 PM

As it stands, you're only going to be out of pocket to the tune of a compatible PSU - a worthwhile gamble.

If it won't work for Pro Tools without the firmware upgrade, and you cannot get hold of a copy (which I think you will be able to find, even if you have to buy a CD-ROM off eBay), or can't run the update (which should be possible on a Windows machine), then at least you can sell it for a small profit, to a user of a different DAW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2018, 06:28 PM

Yes Carl, that is exactly how I am looking at it. Thanks a million!

I've finally found a part number for the power supply, it's a hefty one. Puts out 7.5 VDC at 4 amps:

MACKIE SB-074A0F-11 SP36907MR DC Power Supply Cord Charger PSU

Maybe that will help somebody else if they are looking for a replacement power supply.

SATA III SSD