Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-24-2021, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Lost everything even though I saved session

Just a wild guess:
If you're using something like Chronosync maybe you had set it to mirror the session but accidentally set the direction to the original instead of the external drive. So that way you synced the empty target folder to your original essentially deleting the session?
Or the sync software you are using has a bug?

Really just a wild guess..
Old 02-25-2021, 03:30 PM

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your reply.
I am using Chronosync.
I have a 2021 jobs folder with all this year jobs.
I made a task in Chronosync which backs up all the 2021 jobs at once so that I don’t have to do a manual backup of all the sub folders each time I want to do a backup.
I have been using this task since January without any problem and then this happened.
Though I must say that one time my backup drive had all the up to date files while the source audio drive had some files missing.
I’ve been in touch with the guys at CS, I’ve sent them the log files and they did not find any error or misbehavior.
I really don’t blame CS for what is happening.
I’m afraid this will remain a mystery.

Thanks for your.

Best regards from Belgium

Pascal
www.standup.be

MacPro 2019 16 Core
PT Ultimate 2021.3.1
HDX 1
D-Command
Old 06-21-2021, 03:09 PM

Updating this thread with another strange thing which happened to me today.
After editing 18 chapters of an audio book, I offline bounced each chapter and imported them in the session (note that I always save session before doing each bounce).
While I was bouncing chapter 12, Pro tools crashed (spinning ball for ever), I had to force quit PT and then restart the computer as PT would not start again.
Note that I had to force shut down the computer as it would not shut down or restart by itself.

After restarting the Mac and reloading the session, only 3 bounced chapters were in the session and in the bounced files folder. Checked session creation date and most recent backup session, it looks like I lost more than 30 minutes of work (audio files + sessions).
This sounds impossible as when PT records any audio file, it exists somewhere but here it has been deleted.

If you read my first post, I was mentioning I lost data after using an archiving software. Here I lost data and did not do any archiving.

I also want to mention that PT has become really unstable some days.
It can crash when doing offline bounce or mixdown, when doing a back & play or even starting another software.
I thrashed all the prefs.
I installed PT latest version
I did not install new software or new plug in.
Did not update OS lately.

Any ideas ?
Should I uninstall completely PT and clean install it ?

I'm lost because I have a great computer which is working great but PT is unstable and I'm losing data recorded by PT.

Thanks for your time.

Pascal
www.standup.be

MacPro 2019 16 Core
PT Ultimate 2021.3.1
HDX 1
D-Command
Old 06-21-2021, 03:51 PM

Could it be you are working on a Hackintosh? I have an experimetal dual-boot (windows/OS X 10.14) Hackintosh/PC system that I test things with outside our studios and on this computer I have seen things strangely vanish a few times. But on all our Macs I never have seen this the last 20 years, unless it was user error…

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 06-21-2021, 06:32 PM

What exactly is the SSD you are recording to. If its a Samsung QVO, they had a firmware issue that caused me to lose a ton of files. I had to send it back to be flashed with new firmware, but honestly, I don't know if I'll ever trust it again. Never had the issue with EVO or PRO Samsung SSD's

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-21-2021, 09:50 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
The computer is a Mac Pro 2019 16 core not a hackintosh.
Audio SSD is an OWC Accelsior 4T but I don’t know which brand are the SSD’s they put in the Accelsior, I’ll check.
I’ll work on another drive for the next few days to see if PT is less unstable.

I’ve been working more than 20 years and never experienced anything like this.
I always look at myself for any error I could have made before blaming any software or hardware but here I’m sure I did not do anything wrong.
You shut down your computer and when you go back to your working folder, you realize the sessions you saved from 3PM40 to 4PM10 are not there anymore.

You are right, what is happening is impossible, that is why it is so frustrating because it is happening and I don’t see where the problem is.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,

Pascal
www.standup.be

MacPro 2019 16 Core
PT Ultimate 2021.3.1
HDX 1
D-Command