Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2000, 12:30 AM

Default logic digi 001

i am about to buy digi for my g4/45256/ram
what is the story on the use of logic as a front end sequencer....? i would like to get envolved in pro tools but not at the cost of my vst instuments... thaks oliver
Old 06-20-2000, 02:26 PM

Default Re: logic digi 001

I beat my head against the wall for a year and a half learning Logic. When I saw the digi video I thought I might want to use PTLE for certain things that Logic didn't seem to do as elegantly. It turns out that in real life Logic is light years ahead of PTLE in most respects...I tried PTLE for a few days and went back to Logic probably never to return. I don't think PTLE can even record in interleaved format (not sure) but that and other things plus familiarity with LAP allows me to use the PTLE cd as a coaster. I think the Logic plugins (and probably your VST's) are superior in most regards as well.
I have a lot of -6042 errors, but I think those are SCSI related, not Logic related (I get them in PTLE too). Other than that the integration is seamless. I highly recommend a Logic/Digi combo, unless you have SCSI issues, which are currently like an albatross around my neck. I think the G4's with plenty of ram don't have the problems I'm having, so you should be fine. Go for it!
Old 06-20-2000, 06:21 PM

ThomCat:

When you get a chance, can you clarify for me whether or not you're having problems with midi through the midi ins and outs of the 001? Or are you using the 001 for audio and a seperate midi interface for midi? And if you're getting midi data in and out succefully, what's your secret? There are a lot of us who need to know. Thanks.

p.s. I agree that the 001 is an excellent audio interface - I even like the PTLE software for editing audio.
Old 06-20-2000, 06:23 PM

Oops! Just in case anybody is just tuning in, my previous remark only concerned using Logic with the 001.
Old 06-21-2000, 05:44 PM

Arrow:

I bought an old Motu Timepiece II (got a deal) which I've been using with great success for a couple years. When I got the 001 I never even tried the midi interface, I just use it as A/D interface...it was my way of moving up to better converters and 24 bit, so I'm afraid I can't chime in on the hanging notes problem; but it sounds like creating an environment instrument to represent the 001 properly might be a critical part of this. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2000, 09:40 PM

ARROW - Have you received the 5.01 update yet? It has a few new extensions & control panels I installed it last night and lo & behold - no random midi notes - I really tried everything for a good 15 minutes or so to get it to fault but it didn't happen. Then I just left it on for 3 hours, came back and still no random midi. I still believe this is too good to be true. I work a 4 day job and I am hanging out for an all day session on friday which should really tell me wether the fault is gone forever! Let me know if you have upgraded . And Kickin if you are reading this did you upgrade your drivers from the upgrade disc or did you download them from the Digi site? I downloaded initially and the fault was still present. But it seemes this cd upgrade has solved the problem I just hope it doesn't prove me a liar - will keep you posted.

Optimistic
ardvaark
Old 06-22-2000, 11:29 AM

Aardvark:

Thanks for the info. I've got 5.01 but I'm still having the stuck/random problem. Maybe I should double check and make sure that I've installed the right "digi 001OMS Driver", I might have instantiated the one that I downloaded from the web. It'll be terrific if this makes the difference.

Keep me posted on whether your problems have really vanished . . . or not.

Cheers
Old 06-22-2000, 05:27 PM

I still have the random midi notes problem too, but never instaled the OMS driver, since it's not needed.
I'll try, though, and let you guys all know!

6am eternal
Old 06-22-2000, 05:38 PM

It took me about 20 second to proove you wrong: I just copied it from the 5.0.1 CD, opened Logic, record-enable a track, and start playing piano while constantly moving the pitch-wheel or/and mod wheel. In about 20 to 30 seconds, the random notes problem reappears, with most key-press being interpreted as notes-off...

:

6am eternal
Old 06-23-2000, 05:50 AM

Sorry Kickin,Arrow and anyone else who got their hopes up with my last post! As soon as I got started on friday morning the random midi was back I do not know why I couldn't get it to fault that last time.

Depressed again
Ardvaark