Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2010, 12:29 PM

Default Do I really need to buy a $79.95 phone call to get an RMA?

I've got a Digidesign 192 that has one output channel that generates noise all the time. The last time I needed an interface repaired, years ago, I called Digidesign and I believe payed $3 per minute to talk to someone to get an RMA.

I just spent a bunch of time trying to figure out the new service/support system. Would it really cost me $79.95 to talk to someone to get an RMA?

http://shop.avid.com/store/category....-phone-support

I submitted a ticket to the Avid Support Center, but I'm not sure that's going to get the job done.

Anyway, the whole system looks like it was designed by someone from the Dilbert comic strip. The funny thing is you get back an email from "Avid Customer Success." Isn't that ironic?
Old 10-04-2010, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Do I really need to buy a $79.95 phone call to get an RMA?

I just looked at the website. That is confusing. It had better not be $79.95 a call! Hopefully, that is a maximum like they used to have.

Jeff
Old 10-04-2010, 12:53 PM

The way I read it is you pay a flat $79.95 to talk to them about a single "incident," and you need to buy the support before you call.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:11 PM

You are going to spend money on a hardware repair. They are charging you to speak with someone to arrange the shipping for a service you are going to pay for? Serious? :-(
Old 10-04-2010, 01:15 PM

Although I've not needed to call in lately, I've never paid to talk to service about swapping a 192 card advanced replacement - although I was under the impression I needed to - and have done it now five times for four systems.

I'd recommend when calling act like you know what you're talking about and demand an Advanced Replacement card (about $250 if I remember right) and that *should* keep you from paying any extra support costs.

Just act hard and confident and you'll be ok. Quit trying to troubleshoot the card and make sure you let 'em know that you DEFINITELY keep this 192 in a well-ventilated rack :)

Good Luck.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
I'd recommend when calling act like you know what you're talking about and demand an Advanced Replacement card (about $250 if I remember right) and that *should* keep you from paying any extra support costs.

Just act hard and confident and you'll be ok.
I don't know, but to me, things look different now. I think you need to buy the $79.95 one incident telephone call to get a code number to actually get through and talk to someone. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think you can talk to a human there without first paying $79.95.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:00 PM

Another problem with this scheme if it is indeed as Lee thinks. Who wants to go through all of the antics of getting online to purchase a code when we need some urgent help with something while the client may be standing there? Where is Avid's head at on this. Well, I think I may know. Can we just have the old system back, Avid, PLEASE?

Jeff
Old 10-04-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
Although I've not needed to call in lately, I've never paid to talk to service about swapping a 192 card advanced replacement - although I was under the impression I needed to - and have done it now five times for four systems.

...make sure you let 'em know that you DEFINITELY keep this 192 in a well-ventilated rack :)
So what's up with the failure rate on 192 cards? I have a machine room that is kept at 65 degrees 24/7/365 and I've replaced more than my share of analog cards IMO.

j
Old 10-04-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I've got a Digidesign 192 that has one output channel that generates noise all the time. The last time I needed an interface repaired, years ago, I called Digidesign and I believe payed $3 per minute to talk to someone to get an RMA.

I just spent a bunch of time trying to figure out the new service/support system. Would it really cost me $79.95 to talk to someone to get an RMA?
I recently had to get my analog input card repaired. I opened a new support case (Avid support center), and in the case response Avid told me what to do, and where to send the card. It can be a bit slow, though, cause it's a bit back and forth with info, but it didn't cost anything. Avid then raised an RA for the return of the card.

They told me that advanced replacements for A/D and D/A cards weren't available at the moment, whatever that means.

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McDaniel View Post
So what's up with the failure rate on 192 cards? I have a machine room that is kept at 65 degrees 24/7/365 and I've replaced more than my share of analog cards IMO.

j
THAT is a very good question.