Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 12-11-2000, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Default D-Verb RTAS for Pro Tools FREE Users

Announcing Digidesign D-Verb RTAS for Pro Tools FREE — Special Web Offer

Hello to all of our Pro Tools FREE users. Thank you for downloading Pro Tools FREE. On behalf of everyone at Digidesign, we hope you are enjoying the power and flexibility of Pro Tools.

Users from all over the world have been asking for a reverb processor for Pro Tools FREE. In response to this overwhelming demand, Digidesign is now offering, for a limited time, a special RTAS-only version of our D-Verb plug-in for only $49.95 (The full version of the D-Verb plug-in package including AudioSuite, RTAS and TDM plug-ins has a suggested list price of $495.00, or almost 10 times the cost of this special offer for just the RTAS portion!)

This fully-functional Real-Time AudioSuite plug-in incorporates the same quality RTAS algorithms available in the regular RTAS version of D-Verb that ships with Digidesign Home Studio Systems. (NOTE: This special RTAS-only version of D-Verb does not run on Pro Tools TDM systems)

Available only as a download over the Web, this is a one-time limited offer that expires on December 31, 2000. You will need to act soon to take advantage of this incredible price.

For more information, and to get your copy of D-Verb RTAS for Pro Tools FREE, go to:
http://www.digidesign.com/dvoffer

D-Verb RTAS for Pro Tools FREE Windows 98 SE and Windows Me is available for download now.

The Macintosh version of D-Verb RTAS for Pro Tools FREE Mac will be available soon.

Thanks!

Digidesign Pro Tools FREE Group

[This message has been edited by Digidesign (edited December 12, 2000).]
Old 12-11-2000, 07:15 PM

Default Re: D-Verb RTAS for Pro Tools FREE Users

Why should anyone pay 50 bucks for D-Verb
when there's no working version of
Pro Tools FREE ???

regards, mike
Old 12-12-2000, 12:53 AM

hmmm... after my 2 weeks of hopeful but seriously frustrating testing on the PTFree r1 and r2 beta, I must admit that Mikey has a pretty good point.
Hey Digi, how about I pay you $50 for a working version of PT un-Free, and you throw in the reverb (absurd that it isn't there already, since it's the most fundamental effect in the world).
This forum has it's share of Digi-Heads and MAC pros that have backtracked to check out PTFree, but mostly we're beginner or intermediate audio PC users, and generally we have existing DAW's and DX/VST Plugins that already work in our systems. We're musicians (read NOT wealthy) and we can't justify spending $15,000 for your TDM system. We're here to get a taste of what all the Pro Tools hype is about, but we're growing weary from the runaround. We want a reliable 24-track (audio) setup with real-time effects for $1000. Remember, we outnumber MAC users at least 20 to 1. The fact that the Direct Connect feature is not implemented in the Windows version of PTLE, and that Windows 2000 support is an indefinite year away, makes me wonder where the benefits start and the rhetoric stops with this PTFree tease. If you're not careful, you stand to lose the battle in this PR campaign. Bad news travels fast. My money is looking for a system that will get my music recorded today, not sometime next year... and if any of us have thousands of dollars to spend on toys, there's a dozen recording formats and systems besides Pro Tools TDM to consider. What I'd like to know is this: Are we simply being used as a group of beta testers for a "free" version that exists only to spawn a 24-track Windows equivalent of Logic Platinum that you plan on selling for $750 in a year or two? One last question: Would you rather sell 1000 Mac-based TDM systems to professional studios for $15,000; or 200,000 Windows ME/2K-based PTLE systems to Joe Public for $1000? Better get busy!
Old 12-12-2000, 05:58 AM

Think again Digidesign. As release 2 isn't out yet, those of us who can't get release 1 to work will only have a very small window in which to evaluate version 2 and decide whether it is worth paying for the reverb.
Old 12-12-2000, 09:03 AM

tgorle has it nailed down.

what's the point? if this is to woo new users, i think things are going terribly.

i'm happy to let my work pay for avid/pt and edit. and i'll stay happy to omit PT from my home - its just not that much better than any other solution costing 1/3 or less the price.

as for a $50 reverb - c'mon.. it just shows how much you guys don't care. it's not like you had to DEVELOP it.

this whole ptf thing is a pr nightmare. i'm embarassed for your company.

~spoonie
Old 12-12-2000, 12:09 PM

I find it interesting that people are so willing to label PTF a "failure" based on what has been posted here. There have been 150k downloads of PTF. Do you have any idea how many of these people got PTF to work well? For all we know, it's possible that 149k people didn't get things working smoothly and only 1k people are having problems.

But no. It doesn't work on MY system, so it's a failure.

Digi will have a fix soon (within just weeks of the initial release, which is very impressive), but people would rather bitch than wait for it and see if it works.

Digi has already sold tens of thousands of 001 systems - looks like they've already "got busy". And to complain about leaving features out of a *FREE* product is simply pathetic.

Obviously, if you can't get it to work, don't buy the verb. But should digi hold back a release to everyone else just because a bugfix is on the way?

Mike
Old 12-12-2000, 02:38 PM

mike:
i dunno why i'm posting here - honestly - i'm totally happy with the TDM system.

maybe i'm just embarassed to be part of the digidesign legacy when they feel they can release something this shoddy as a way to lure or represent themselves to people that *might* buy one of their products that kicks ass.

it's like porsche selling the old 914...
it looks like one, but it sure doesnt RUN like one....and it didnt give anyone an idea of what the real mccoy is like.

~spoonie
Old 12-12-2000, 06:11 PM

PTFree does have something no other program sports and that's plugin automation on a level not offered by any freeware out there, including Buzz, Psychle or Massiva.

I mean, ok 8 tracks isn't much, but it's cool with MIDI. And now that memory has fallen in price, 256 MB makes PTFree a bliss to play with. 128 MB is not enough realy.

Is there a mailinglist that announces the second release of PTFree ?

The only thing missing now is VST plugin support. There's next to nothing available for PTFree for free other than the RTAS plugs you deliver with PTF.

Was VST plugin support considered ?

Tony
Old 12-12-2000, 08:49 PM

Mr Connelly, we bitch because we care.
I've given this program 40 hours of my FREE time, r1 and the r2beta. Needless to say, much more than the benefit of a doubt. I've reported several known problems and hopefully the fixes are coming soon. Virtually every other DAW works fine on my system, the problems I've had with PTFree are admitted to be in the software.
If you re-read my message above, you'll catch the fact that the Direct Connect "feature" I refer to is missing from the Windows NT4 PTLE/Digi001 system, while it's standard on the MAC version. So, even if we're impressed enough with PTFree to buy the Digi 001, we still can't use our pre-existing DirectX and VST plugins at this point. We also can't use Windows 2000 at this point. These facts simply reinforce my assertion that as compared to the level of support that MAC users enjoy, Digidesign needs to "get busy" with their Windows platform support. PC's rule. If Digidesign ever gets a full-featured NON-PROPRIETARY version of software available for Windows at a decent price, everyone will buy it.
We all know that PTFree is not an end-all, it's a marketing tool to sell Digidesign's upgrade products. We don't expect it to do everything, we just expect it to work. And if Digidesign's aspirations are to be realized, it's it their best interests to get it working quickly. The amatuers that don't upgrade can pay $50 for the reverb, but you can't expect them to buy it before Christmas on faith that one day PTFree might work as advertised. As far as comparing success versus failures of the estimated 150K people who've downloaded PTFree, are we gonna count pregnant chads? ;-)
No one wants this to succeed more than I. I've been patient, I've given of my time, now I want to make music.
Old 12-14-2000, 02:48 PM

$495 for D-verb? I can't belive that! It's a very grainy and thin reverb. Are you sure it's the same one as comes with the Digi001?
There are some better sounding free reverbs out there!