Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2003, 06:11 PM

Default my next purchase

hey again, isnt it funny how life turns out? the band that im currently recording kicked out their guitarist for a few reasons, and since i jammed with them for a track and they heard me, now im playing for them! good news because theyre really awesome, and they bring alot of sweet gear to the table, a pair of mc012s, and an akg kick mic to go along with my sm57s and studioprojects C1.

along with those mics, i have a $200 art tube pre, and the digi pres, and some plugins.

i am kind of at a loss of what to get next. im thinking a nice 2ch pre, for around 5-600. unless anyone has any other suggestions on other gear, i think im going with a preamp.

does anyone have any suggestions for a 2 channel preamp around 5-600? maybe with some options on it.

right now i mostly retrack everything seperately, so id be running everything from vocals to guitars to overheads through it.

and im just curious.. do any of you guys use any other outboard gear while you track? because i think id be well set with a nice pre, since i think i have an average mic collection.

thanks alot, -steve
Old 06-04-2003, 06:32 PM

Default Re: my next purchase

sorry, i forgot this, but

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TwinTrakPro/

if anyone has the twintrak pro, or could give me an idea, about how much better are they than the 001 pres?
thanks
Old 06-05-2003, 06:12 AM

I'm looking to the arrival of this preamp. It's basically a spin-off of the VoicemasterPro but without certain features. This is not a bad thing by any means, I love the Voicemaster Pro As far as what pre is best for you really depends on what microphones you have or plan on having, what kind of sound you're after, what you're recording, etc. If it's something for multi-purpose, I'm a fan of neutral mic-pres with a wide selection of microphones. But obviously for a home studio, this can be quite difficult. I have fealt that the Voicemaster Pro is th ultimate bang for the buck and the best option for a sub-$1,000 channel strip product. I am anxious to try out this new box to see if I'll feel that way for a dual-ch pre in that same price point.....hmmmmm
Old 06-05-2003, 10:48 AM

the FMR RNP (Real Nice Preamp) $475.00...and the RNC (Real Nice Compressor) $175.00...$650.00 total and you wont believe it!

do a search on the Mac side of the DUC and the net...if you want a piece that looks pretty in your rack, dont get the FMR products. If you want something that sounds better than anything over
twice its price point well, you wont find one. dont be fooled by its size!

Just research your options, its really worth it!

here's just one place:
click here!
Old 06-05-2003, 01:07 PM

Hey Bloux, the FMR stuff doesn't have to be ugly the VRT takes care of that:

http://www.funklogic.com/vrtsystem.htm#ordering
Old 06-05-2003, 01:48 PM

Hey Ski,

actually I'm waiting for THIS! its available in two weeks!
check it out!
Old 06-05-2003, 03:36 PM

I think that looks nice and the price is definitely right, I just get so caught up in how cute the lunchbox looks that I keep telling my self to that it the way to go.
A VRT with 1 RNP, 1 RNC,and 3 blanks would be about $170 without the brass screws ($150 without blanks) compared to $60 for the FRT 8373.
Roughly $90-110 more or 50-55% toward the cost of another RNC. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
As you can tell I have played with this idea, my real excuse now is just the availability dates.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:12 PM

The RNP is basically a who couldn't use me type product, the RNC is the same way.
The worst thing about it is you have to hear it to understand why people like it.
Most pre's the $500 range either sound like that's where they belong or are built like it.
The RNP definitely doesn't sound like a $479 pre-amp (not that we are complaining about that)
Contact Mercenary Audio if you aren't satisfied you can return it, they know you will keep it so it makes no difference.
You won't regret it.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:48 AM

sorry to bring this up again, i just saw the responses and do you guys really think that that rnp is better then the trackmaster? i mean, of couse i want quality, but i want some options too.

i havent heard any of them yet, but would anyone who heard the trackmmaster and the rnp prefer the overall value of the rnp over the trackmaster?
Old 06-07-2003, 02:07 AM

I'll third the RNP/RNC. Real sleepers. Unbeatable for the price.