Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2002, 09:10 PM

Default PT le software and it\'s plugins

Those of you using PT le, regardless of system... how do you like the bundled plugins? The Digirack. Are they good? Should a person plan on buying other plugins instead?

If you use other software like Sonar or Cubase, how does it compare to the plugins that come with them? One thing I'm concerned with is that only RTAS and Audiosuite are used in PT. I would really like to use VST and DirectX also.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:54 PM

Default Re: PT le software and it\'s plugins

anybody want to answer?
Old 01-01-2003, 12:28 AM

I'll have a go.
The "stock" Digi-rack plugins may not have the same 'fancy' graphics that some VST and DX plugs, but sonicly I would say that they are just as good and in some cases if not better than DX and VST plugs of the same type. Plus, they are extremely easy to use. Because of the basic functionlity, it is easy to compare Digi-rack to Sonic Foundry's SFX and Cakewalks stock FX.
You wont start hearing any major differnces until you start working with some of the more expensive plugin sets from companies like BombFactory, Waves, TC Works, etc.
There may be several hundred VST and DX plugins out there, but Protools LE provides adequate plugins for a basic tracking session.
And whilest I sometimes feel that PT is lacking some features that the competition may carry, I think that sticking to a single plugin architecture allows for a more stable operating environment. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

2+2=5
Old 01-01-2003, 01:26 AM

That's probably true. I do wish though that VSTs could be used.
Old 01-01-2003, 01:46 AM

Really almost all of us here don't just use pro-tools. Almost all of us use pro-tools in combination with something like Sound Forge or Wavelab. I use Wavelab for my basic needs and when I want to make mp3s I also use it so that I can make use of my DirectX pluggins such as Auto Tune. If you are trying to decide on the type of system to use, just remember that pro-tools probably won't be your only program, however pro-tools is one of the most powerfull and versatile programs out there.
Old 01-01-2003, 01:53 AM

the protools plugins are nice, they just cover the basics tho.

currently the only optional pack i use is the waves 3.5 gold (all my 5.1 plugs got wiped out when i upgraded to 5.3) and i'm pretty much able to do anything i need to plug in wise (altho i would like more to play around with).

the ones i'm missing are mostly novelties like the sansamp plug, moogerfooger stuff like that.

peace
Old 01-01-2003, 01:59 AM

Thought of another question: Does PT le have undo? I would think so but I've never read anything about it. Of course I wasn't looking either.
Old 01-01-2003, 02:05 AM

Calvin,

Yes that's what I will do too. I just can't make up my mind to use Cubase SX or Sonar 2. I know Sonar will let you save in a file type that PT can use. I don't think SX can do this (yet). But I love the look of SX! To me PT looks bland. But the screenshots for PTv6 (about time!) look really good.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:21 AM

the look?

yea protools got undo. where did u see screenshots of 6.0?

when's it coming out?
Old 01-01-2003, 08:52 AM

...easy now, easy... You can see it in the newssection on the Digi homepage - BUT, itīs "Maconly" for a while!

I couldnīt care less that there isnīt any "colours" - I like a software that functions well for grownups...

...what really, really bugs me is the latest Digizine of January where a great deal of the Boot Camp section is focused on the Altiverb, which is not (and propobly never will be) for the PC community. Not one word about BF that exist on both platforms?

To get back to one of the original Q on this thread. Yes, I think Waves is a must, but not to replace Digirack, but to add more soniccolour.

p.s. Donīt forget Start+Ctrl+Del+Click on plugins you want to deactivate to save power while mixing.
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix