Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2014, 01:05 AM

Default Plugin recommendations please

I know Serato Pitch 'n' Time used to be considered the best pitch shifter for PT.
Ideally I'd like something that I can pitch shift dynamically with automation (get a glissando without droping pitch in steps). Is Serato capable of doing that, and if not, is anything else?

I'd also like to find a plugin where I can quickly and simply morph one sound with another.
eg input the sound of car engine and a line of dialogue, and output a car talking.
Are there any plugins that can do that within PT?

(My budget is fairly low!)
Old 01-29-2014, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Plugin recommendations please

Quote:
Originally Posted by idris View Post
I know Serato Pitch 'n' Time used to be considered the best pitch shifter for PT.
Ideally I'd like something that I can pitch shift dynamically with automation (get a glissando without droping pitch in steps). Is Serato capable of doing that, and if not, is anything else?

Yes, it can but it's only AS so no automation or real-time pitch shifting. There is not "the best" pitch shifter out there. They are all good at certain things but none of them are best at everything.

Quote:
I'd also like to find a plugin where I can quickly and simply morph one sound with another.
eg input the sound of car engine and a line of dialogue, and output a car talking.
Are there any plugins that can do that within PT?

(My budget is fairly low!)
That doesn't exist. The best morphing tools are neither cheap, nor easy to use.

Probably the closest you get is with Kyma. But that's far from cheap.

Morphing is a very complex process and if your source sounds are as far away from each other in terms of character as a voice and a car engine sound the result will always sound nothing like you expect it to sound.

Check out the Kyma website. There are a couple of morphing examples but they morph a crying baby to a cat meow or a lion growl to a harley. It works because these sounds are fairly similar not only in the frequency but also in the time domain. It also takes a lot of tweaking to get a convincing result. But Kyma is very good at it and offers many specialized tools to prep your raw sounds so that the morph will work.

A plug and play morphing tool that does what you want doesn't exist AFAIK. But of course this doesn't mean that what you want can not be done in a convincing way. But you need to use a combination of techniques. Try things. You won't get it an off-the-shelf-tool that will work like instant coffee for this I think. ;-)

Frank.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:
input the sound of car engine and a line of dialogue, and output a car talking.
Is that "morphing" ? A talking car could be the job of a vocoder.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 01-29-2014, 02:18 AM

If Pitch 'n' Time is AS only, can you recommend any pitch shifters that you can automate smoothly?

I had a feeling I might be p***ing in the wind with the "morphing"! [Laughs at self.] (Kyma is definitely out of my budget.)
Not coming from the music world, I'd not thought of a vocoder and have no experience of them. Can you use them to modulate speach with sampled sounds rather than oscillators? (Excuse me if I'm not using the correct terms.)

I guess the other option for both is to use a sampler, but from what I've seen these usually work outside (or alongside) PT rather than within it ... which is a different kind of work flow to what I'm used to. Any thoughts?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:29 AM

Check out this one:

https://www.zplane.de/products/elastique-pitch (not yet AAX)

It really depends on what you kind of sounds you want to process. Some are good for voices other are better for musical stuff.

If you want real-time processing your options are small. I think waves makes one as well. Never tried it.

Then there is Melodyne which is pretty amazing for vocal stuff.

As always: It depends...

Frank.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Check out this one:

https://www.zplane.de/products/elastique-pitch (not yet AAX)
It is very much AAX! https://www.zplane.de/products/compa...tiquepitchv131
Old 01-29-2014, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
ah thanks. not mentioned on the product page.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:45 AM

http://www.prosoniq.com/www/morph_AU.html

Problem is it is AU, so you have to use it in Garage Band or Logic. But you can always run the output of those digitally into PT or use Soundflower and record the result.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
... input the sound of car engine and a line of dialogue, and output a car talking.
maybe something like this ? : http://we.tl/9pkOUoDaLM
Vocoder BV512 (within Reason 7)
Carrier : engine of a corvette stingray in idle, hood open
Modulator : ATSC speech sample 24 LUFS (man talking)
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060

Last edited by joachim; 02-19-2014 at 07:06 AM. Reason: missing letters
Old 02-19-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
ah thanks. not mentioned on the product page.
No worries, it is a bit hidden away! Thought they'd make more noise about AAX. Ah well!