Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2021, 05:20 AM

Default Re: MIDI in 2021 and BEYOND

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS View Post
No No NO NO NO! I have explained this. When editing midi, when moving a note,Copying and pasting a note with the command key, It will disappear! Right before your eyes!! Workaround is to consolidate the clip and it stops.... for a little while at least.... It is random. But happens frequently.

This is NOT workflow... Or system config.... Its a BUG!
Absolutely!

It happens to notes that are precisely on the beat and with NO previous clip's note(s) overhanging (zooming in to check is a necessity).
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 09-07-2021, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
For me what you are describing only happens in 2 scenarios:

1. There is midi data slightly ahead of the bar line, so when i edit a clip, especially in clip view, the first note of the that measure disappears.

2. there is midi data from the preceding measure that crosses the bar line and is held over. Again this only happens to me in clip.

Someone posted earlier in this thread a wonderful work around that they created using macros and Keyboard maestro. Maybe this could be a solution for you?

Other than the sample rounding issue, I am very happy so far that I left studio one to make pt my only daw. Again the head room, horse power and stability are light years beyond s1. I may pick up ableton nos that it is more integrated with PT an between the 2 there isnt much you cant do with ease.

The only complaint I have is that i dont particularly like the sound Vi's coming through the avid omni while creating. i can't quite put my finger on it. It is fine for mixing though. I much prefer the sound of the focusrite red 16line or the benchmark dac 1 for this use. They are both digitally wired in and they give me a sound that I am use to, which in turn affects my sonic choices.

Ej

Answer to points 1 & 2:

Definitely not the case!

It happens to notes that are precisely on the beat and with NO previous clip's note(s) overhanging (zooming in to check is a necessity).
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 09-07-2021, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podusa View Post
No, I mean MIDI-notes. I want it to work exactly like if I would cut audio.

If I for example want to shorten the bridge into the chorus by 1 bar, I'd just like to cut the MIDI-parts and the notes end where I cut it. I mean, isn't that the whole point of making a cut?

I know there are workarounds for this and that's exactly my point. I want it to be fast and easy. NO workarounds.
this is because of quantize. if you are cutting let's say at exactly the bar, but due to quantize your midi note is just a touch before the bar, sometimes that note will get lost and sometimes it will stay in the previous bar.
But as far as notes just 'disappearing', i've never had that and I use midi in every production I do. But you're right in that pro tools needs to learn how to treat those midi notes.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
So PT is the 'dad daw'?
Yep. I spent a lot of time during lockdown watching people create on Twitch. I've seen kids do some amazing things with Ableton Live. I'm talking things that I didn't think were possible because it's supposedly "loop based" only.

Most of the kids aren't even using session view. They're composing, tracking and mixing in the arrangement view. In other words, they're using Live like a traditional DAW. If they're not using Ableton, they're using FL Studio and Logic.

T-Pain is one of the few that uses Pro Tools on stream, but to the target audience, he's an OG.... and a dad.

So, yeah, PT is a Dad DAW, and most of the comments in the chat during a stream reflect that. We have to realize that there is a new generation that will never use Pro Tools. Avid has priced them out. The minute someone mixes a successful feature film in Reaper, it's over. That's not far fetched thinking either. I do more and more sound design in Reaper and move it to PT and each time that happens, I ask myself why aren't I doing the whole Post mix in it.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X

Last edited by grayter1; 09-07-2021 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
...PT is a Dad DAW...
Ha!!! I no longer drive the same car I got when I was 16 either!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 09-07-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Ha!!! I no longer drive the same car I got when I was 16 either!
True. But, why mess with success? There's a prominent producer/streamer who has a charting album currently all done in Ableton (vocal production and mix included). If it's working for them, why switch? We say the same thing about Pro Tools, right?

The larger issue is Avid doesn't care about those users, and why would they? They're being propped up by the Post industry. At some point, a smaller daw will have it's Slum Dog Millionaire moment and there will be a shift. Similar to the DSLR changing the film industry. Almost every interface manufacturer includes Ableton with their device, so there are a ton kids with a copy, and when that's all you have, you make the most of it.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 09-07-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
For me what you are describing only happens in 2 scenarios:

1. There is midi data slightly ahead of the bar line, so when i edit a clip, especially in clip view, the first note of the that measure disappears.

2. there is midi data from the preceding measure that crosses the bar line and is held over. Again this only happens to me in clip.

Someone posted earlier in this thread a wonderful work around that they created using macros and Keyboard maestro. Maybe this could be a solution for you?

Other than the sample rounding issue, I am very happy so far that I left studio one to make pt my only daw. Again the head room, horse power and stability are light years beyond s1. I may pick up ableton nos that it is more integrated with PT an between the 2 there isnt much you cant do with ease.

The only complaint I have is that i dont particularly like the sound Vi's coming through the avid omni while creating. i can't quite put my finger on it. It is fine for mixing though. I much prefer the sound of the focusrite red 16line or the benchmark dac 1 for this use. They are both digitally wired in and they give me a sound that I am use to, which in turn affects my sonic choices.

Ej
Seriously here. I can come back to a session after it has been closed. I decide to move a note to another note in note view either in the edit window OR the midi editor window. I will move the note and it will disappear.I then undo the move and it reappears. I then blow up said note and it DOES NOT HANG OVER GRID LINE. Exactly on the grid line. I then try again. It disappears. Next step is to consolidate the entire clip. It now works....

Again. This has nothing to do with your scenarios. Done talking about it. There is a bug. Others have seen it. It has been here for a long time. MIDI NEEDS AN OVERHAUL period! Why people on here want to defend this blows my mind! Lets make it better!! Its 2021.

Other than Midi, I love ProTools. Been here since PT5

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:55 AM

I am pretty confident MIDI will get overhaul once 2.0 will have to be implemented
Old 09-09-2021, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
this is because of quantize. if you are cutting let's say at exactly the bar, but due to quantize your midi note is just a touch before the bar, sometimes that note will get lost and sometimes it will stay in the previous bar.
But as far as notes just 'disappearing', i've never had that and I use midi in every production I do. But you're right in that pro tools needs to learn how to treat those midi notes.
Well, that's another REALLY annoying thing! If I quantized it, in my world that means I WANT the note to be there. Why in gods name would I want Pro Tools to use the un-quantized note?

But this is what I was talking about in my original post (picture), when cutting a clip and the notes doesn't get cut. I mean...WHY!?

- I make a cut in the first place because I want to remove/delete something.

- The shortcut "B" stands for "Separate" in the manual, but it does not do that with MIDI, only audio. (Yes, it separates the Clip, but not the notes, soooo....who needs that?)

- It should work the same way in my opinion, cutting audio and MIDI
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skärmavbild 2021-09-09 kl. 13.45.23.jpg (32.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by podusa; 09-09-2021 at 05:11 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podusa View Post
But this is what I was talking about in my original post (picture), when cutting a clip and the notes doesn't get cut. I mean...WHY!?

- I make a cut in the first place because I want to remove/delete something.

- The shortcut "B" stands for "Separate" in the manual, but it does not do that with MIDI, only audio. (Yes, it separates the Clip, but not the notes, soooo....who needs that?)

- It should work the same way in my opinion, cutting audio and MIDI
Yup. PT has always done that if I remember correctly. .
Really, really REALLY ANNOYING
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~