Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2010, 04:53 PM

Default Control|24 randomly moving faders

hey folks, first post, NOT a savvy guy when it comes to this equipment. just trying to get some ideas / vocabulary with regard to a problem i'm having so i can have it repaired.

the control|24 (focusrite) that i have at our studio started acting up last week. the faders move randomly (not rhythmically as was the issue with a previous post) and move back into place, then the lights will all illuminate for a moment before everything returns to normal. the sound is not affected with regard to the mix that i'm hearing through the speakers, though on a few occasions during my session the audio would short out completely during recording, though the mix would remain in the monitor of the person tracking in our live room. resetting hasn't worked (turning it off and on), but the power supply was replaced a number of years ago. the connections on the faders were replaced (i'm told, as i inherited the equipment) in the last couple of years after a similar problem took place.

i know it's not much to go on, but i wonder if you folks could give me an idea of some of the potential issues going on here. thanks so much for your time!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Control|24 randomly moving faders

I have the same issues.

When the faders are all turned completely down I have two that keep ticking like the servo motors are wanting to go somewhere.

then when I am playing a song, different groups of faders will jump up or down in unison, then move back to normal immediately.

Also, the timecode seems to stick every now and then and many of the lights will light up or go dark and then come back to normal immediately.

Luckily I've had no audio drop outs and it hasn't effected my mixing. However, I'd love to know if there is any sort of fix.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Avid

This could be any number of causes - possibly a bad PSU, maybe a bad fader motor control, etc.

I would suggest calling either a local repair center or tech support and they can help diagnose the problem and let you know what the options are for getting it fixed.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfugatti View Post
I have the same issues.

When the faders are all turned completely down I have two that keep ticking like the servo motors are wanting to go somewhere.
I had this same issue and it was the individual fader/servo itself- easy to replace (takes longer to take out all the screws than it does to change faders- install new fader(s) and recalibrate

haven't seen the random movement
Old 11-23-2010, 08:05 PM

I had the same Fader tickle movement problem. Here is what I found that worked for me.
1) With the Control 24 on:
2) Take a Phillips screwdriver and go to the Fader that is causing the problem.
3) Loosen the two screws about two turns that hold the Fader to the Chassis top, so the Fader is loose.
4) Slowly and gently tighten each screw back up until the Fader acts normal and quits twitching. Go back and forth between the two screws, tuning the Fader. Do only the Fader's that are causing you the problems.
5) This is what I think is going on:
I think if the screws are overly tightened, it's cause the Fader unit to curve or flex the Fader's metal casing and causes problems, by losing contact inside somewhere. Also helps make a good contact between the Fader casing and the Control 24's chassis.
6) Also, pull the Fader cap off the Fader slider rail and clean the contact where the Fader sits on the Fader's sliding rail and the inside of the fader cap with a little DeOxit.
7) Let me know if this works for you.