Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-22-2006, 11:01 AM

Default FW Drive qualified only for 24 tracks?

Ok so DigiTech what do I do about this? You guy have listed that FW800 drives are only qualified for 24 tracks per drive at 48/24. So what happens when you upgrade to the MP Tool Kit and have access to 32 tracks??

http://www.Abravemix.com
Old 02-22-2006, 12:06 PM

Default Re: FW Drive qualified only for 24 tracks?

Euh... I might get flamed and targeted as a smart-ass (which is not intended BTW)...

Quote:
FW800 drives are only qualified for 24 tracks per drive at 48/24. So what happens when you upgrade to the MP Tool Kit and have access to 32 tracks??
Budget a second drive to add to your current config and split the session across.
On a side note, you should already have 32 tracks (unless running a VERY old version of PT), the MP Tool Kit will give you 48 tracks.

Cheers
Old 02-22-2006, 12:15 PM

woa yea the track count concerning the MPTK was an error, I just for got for a second. I am having issues with my FW800 Lacie d2 Tripple interface drive. I dont know what the problem is it just seems that all of a sudden after upgrading to a 002 and getting another d2 extreme (storage only) I am getting all these H/W Buffer errors. Its REALLY bad when you cant record one stereo track in a session that contains only like 18 tracks. How would I go about splitting the sessions across two drives without raid-ing them (which isnt supported)?

Old 02-22-2006, 12:18 PM

I don't mean to high jack the thread, but could you point me to online MP Toolkit documentation?
Old 02-22-2006, 12:23 PM

Well if you go to digidesign.com its a banner at the bottom but here is the link

Old 02-22-2006, 01:07 PM

Wouldn't you use Round Robin? If you have the Extreme (2 drive raid) hook it up FW800 and see if it's good. Do not use FW400 and FW800 on PT at the same time.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:03 PM

ok 1. What is Round Robin? and 2. I use ONLY FW800 drives as I figured more bandwidth helps 3. The extreme d2 is currently transfer only

Old 02-22-2006, 08:29 PM

DIAFXMX wrote, and deleted:

Quote:
I beleive that was meant to say 24 tracks IN RECORD!!!

You cant record 24, or even 32 tracks, the 002R has only 18 inputs!!!
I still have a reply for you:

Some of us here are certified operators and know what we are doing, namely ME. I know all about the physical and digital I/O of all of the PT rigs. Please take care in posting comments, you never know who has these threads set to be e-mailed to them or what level of expertise the user who posted it is at. If something was unclear let me clarify. My issue is with the hard drives. I have never seen this many issues, even with larger sessions in LE.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Avid

To split across multiple drives:

1. During recording, you can use Round Robin. Set any drive you don't want Pro Tools to record to as a 'Transfer' drive in the Workspace.
2. For sessions that have already been recorded - create a new Audio Files folder on the other drive, drag and drop audio files from one drive to the other, then change the Disk Allocation in Pro Tools to play those tracks from the other drive.