Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 04-17-2023, 01:16 PM

Default Backing tracks - How to write midi pc and cc messages on midi track in pro tools

Hi,

New user of the forum here, apologies if anything about this post is not in the right place or as it should be.

I need help with something and can't find the answer anywhere else on the internet so came here to see if anyone else is doing what I'm trying to accomplish, I may be going about it the wrong way! Experienced DAW user, but from what i can tell, this is a niche subject.

I want to make my bands live equipment sync up to and recieve pc and cc messages from our backing track player (cymatic audio lp16)

the player can send midi, and I'm planning on hooking it up to our gear (synths, pedals, drums pads etc) so that song patches, global midi clock, and cc messages will be sent to all gear simultaineously and at the right time for each song.

in pro tools i currently have the project with our backing tracks, bv's, fx, click tracks with cues etc. I'm assuming all i'd need to do to is use a midi track in PT to write each corresponding pc and or cc message at the right times in each song, export said midi track like the audio for the backing tracks, and import it into the backing track player (it has a specific button in the software for importing a midi track, so based on that i assume this is the intedned purpose, if it were purely for anything else such as playing midi notes that would seem superfluous when you could just use the audio instead of triggering a keyboard using midi for example?)

If anyone else here has any experience with syncing up live gear to a backing track or click track and has any relevant wisom to share please let me know bu replying to this thread or sending me a dm.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2023, 01:20 PM

Default Backing tracks - how to program midi pc and cc messages on a midi track

Hi,

New user of the forum here, apologies if anything about this post is not in the right place or as it should be.

I need help with something and can't find the answer anywhere else on the internet so came here to see if anyone else is doing what I'm trying to accomplish, I may be going about it the wrong way! Experienced DAW user, but from what i can tell, this is a niche subject.

I want to make my bands live equipment sync up to and recieve pc and cc messages from our backing track player (cymatic audio lp16)

the player can send midi, and I'm planning on hooking it up to our gear (synths, pedals, drums pads etc) so that song patches, global midi clock, and cc messages will be sent to all gear simultaineously and at the right time for each song.

in pro tools i currently have the project with our backing tracks, bv's, fx, click tracks with cues etc. I'm assuming all i'd need to do to is use a midi track in PT to write each corresponding pc and or cc message at the right times in each song, export said midi track like the audio for the backing tracks, and import it into the backing track player (it has a specific button in the software for importing a midi track, so based on that i assume this is the intedned purpose, if it were purely for anything else such as playing midi notes that would seem superfluous when you could just use the audio instead of triggering a keyboard using midi for example?)

If anyone else here has any experience with syncing up live gear to a backing track or click track and has any relevant wisom to share please let me know bu replying to this thread or sending me a dm.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2023, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Backing tracks - How to write midi pc and cc messages on midi track in pro tools

You might find Ableton Live to be a better tool for this

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave