Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-07-2018, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Apogee Symphony MKII HD and Digi 192 not working together

Loop Sync appears to be working Fine. The 192 follows all Sample rate changes with the Symphony MKII and both digilink cables work fine as the 192 works with both as long as the apogee isn't hooked up
Old 01-07-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtole2 View Post
Hi Darryl,
No the Symphony MK is an HD version running on the native card so no it doesn’t have thunderbolt that is a different unit altogether .
Yes the 192 works on both ports and both cables by itself but once the Apogee is hooked up I’m back to no I/O on the 192..
I have to say I was on the phone with Avid for four hours and the tech and I tried everything. He was great and really tried to help. I contacted Apogee via online chat and they basically didn’t care other then that the Symphony was working.. too bad I had more respect for Apogee then that but it seems like the could care less to help
Thanks for the update, I've been looking at a Symphony 8x8x8, I guess Apogee just lost a future customer.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:05 AM

This is the response I received from Avid who also don't seem to care even though I pay them $399 a year for a perpetual license

Entered on: 1/4/2018 7:05 PM Entered by: Jeremy Asuncion

Hi Gary,

Thanks for taking my call today. I have received feedback from the engineering team, and as it turns out, this issue is known. Please note that the 192 IO is no longer supported as listed here:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-support-dates

However, many users have reported the 192 to work just fine with the newer versions of Pro Tools HD, as we have seen during our remote session. Further tests show that the AVID HD IO and 192 have been configured successfully by many end users.

In this case, the Symphony IO emulates the HD IO, but in fact is the variable in this issue that is blocking the 192 from functioning properly. I chatted with Apogee after our call and the tech states that since the Symphony IO emulates an AVID HD IO, then essentially it's an HD IO to 192 issue. My argument here is that the actual AVID HD IO does not have this issue with the 192 IO and an emulation of an HD IO is just that, an emulation. Also, I cannot give advice on how the Symphony's digilink interacts with the HD Native card. Even if it's an 8x8, only Apogee can explain why connecting their device to PT HD might cause this issue. And as stated on their site: "Any other Pro Tools hardware commands (mosty in the Hardware Setup window) are ignored by Symphony I/O."

http://www.apogeedigital.com/knowled...vid-pro-tools/

The Apogee is evidently blocking the 192 somehow. I would advise contacting Apogee Tech Support to have them show you a working setup with their interface and a 192 IO. I understand your stance that Apogee said it's supported, so I'd encourage you to have them show you just that. Unfortunately, this is out of my scope of support as all AVID components were evident to be working and functional until the third party Symphony IO interface and HD IO emulation were connected and introduced into the system. Furthermore, we don't have a Symphony IO in house to test with. Apogee may have a 192 IO since they had qualified their device for use with the AVID/Digidesign interfaces for use in Pro Tools HDX and HD Native Systems.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, need further assistance, or if the case can be closed. I'll await your findings.

Best,

Jeremy
AVID Audio
Previous Responses:

Entered on: 1/4/2018 12:21 PM Entered by: Urville Canuel

Hi Gary,

Thank you for contacting AVID Customer Care. I have created case XXXXXX on your behalf and sent it to our Support team. The next available resource will contact you to address the issue. If you have any other questions you can visit our website at http://www.avid.com/US/support.
Thank you for choosing AVID.

Regards,
Urville
Avid Video Registration
Case Description:

Description of issue:having an issue PT HD info on the I/O is grayed out
Product Version: 12.7.1
Other relevant products & versions: none
Operating System: OS X 10.12.5
System ID or ASC:
Is Avid hardware in use on the system? If so, what hardware? none
Specific error(s): none
Actions that prompt error(s):none
Is this a new issue or was it introduced with an upgrade or new install?: new issue
Have any logs been gathered?: n/a
Old 01-08-2018, 10:15 AM

Looks like they (Avid) care quite a lot reading your email pastes and as the 192 is discontinued a long time ago I can't see why you would expect anymore from what you got. No longer supported means exactly that and you are not paying the yearly fee to get around that. Sorry about your problem though and I would expect Apogee to step up here.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-08-2018, 12:04 PM

My point is that neither AVID or Apogee are willing to help because in their opinions both of their products work separately but not together. So I'm caught in a catch 22 even though Avid admits its a known issue.
I came on this forum to see if someone else has the same or a similar problem and that maybe they have a solution or ideas on how to work around this..
Old 01-08-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtole2 View Post
My point is that neither AVID or Apogee are willing to help because in their opinions both of their products work separately but not together. So I'm caught in a catch 22 even though Avid admits its a known issue.
I came on this forum to see if someone else has the same or a similar problem and that maybe they have a solution or ideas on how to work around this..
But you provided email copies that show Avid went above and beyond on supporting an old product and took time to provide nice followup. Maybe ditch the 192 and buy a used HD IO, or throw out the Apogee if they are not going to help you.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:07 PM

Well, I don't think I will be throwing out the Symphony MKII as I just bought it and it sounds amazing but It looks like I may have to spend More money to get an additional card in the Symphony or an HD interface even though the 192 is supposed to work with it. I was really hoping someone on this forum had a similar issue or work around.