Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2008, 07:41 AM

Default Firewire symptoms, I have not seen here

(History and some steps taken)

I am having problems, but I have not seen these symptoms here in the DUC . I have had my 002 for 5+ years now and replaced the power harness twice... first time was 3+ years ago and the second time just a few weeks ago.

I was using a NON digi approved firewire card (NEC) with no problems EVER!
The last 3 years I have been using a AMD64 DFI Lanparty system which had on board firewire, however I could use any of the ports (onboard or card) with no issues. Rock Solid I mean it just worked!

So... I just replaced the harness again about a few weeks ago, and then my trusty old motherboard went out, like the day after I got the harness (talk about a snowball effect). So I just built a Q6600 Asus P5SE 4gb6400 system and now all of a sudden by 002 does not power up all of the time like it should AND NOW, I am having firewire issues such as:

loosing connection after about 15min- 1hr. using protools,reason, or wavelab. It initially recognizes it!

also, I have had to reinstall the fader firmware because something causes it to get missing......firmware version will read x.xxx but other stuff is find

I also have to sometimes tap on the back of my 002 for it to unhang itself when powering on with new harness.... I did use the cleaner to clean and treat the pins .... so any other ideas?

also when it looses connection the program ALWAYS hangs up and has to be closed. 002 hangs as well but if I hit the standalone button it responds just fine

So....eventhough I have always read about firewire issues here, I have never seen this type of issue where it connects and I can record silence on 8 tracks for 5 mins. with no problems but sooner or later it looses connection....It can be in the middle of playing a song and the audio will just stop....but protools will still be playing and I have to stop it using the mouse then it hangs up.

I use a external Lacie hard drive which has no problems.

So, First thing Monday I am gonna order a DIGI approved card (lol) however, if anybody got any other ideas that would be great! I would really hate to hear that my 002 is slowly dying on me.

Thanks for any ideas
Apollo X6. Apollo Twin.UAD2 Satellite
BLA XB Clock
SSL Fusion
Old 10-26-2008, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Firewire symptoms, I have not seen here

I feel your pain. Try a new firewire cable as well. And maybe experiment by installing the firwire card in a different card slot in case of an IRQ conflict. Are you sure you got that harness installed right? It would be an easy mistake to plug one of the connectors off by 1 pin in either direction.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-26-2008, 08:38 AM

Yes, I tried all of that stuff ...... thanks

I have been missing sessions and everything, trying to get a handle on this..... not to mention now having a Quad Core Beast that handles my old systems loads in its sleep (if you dont have one GET ONE! ) and can't even use it and ProTools 8 is around the corner....... more options, new gui...ahh

I really don't need some type of expensive repair bill, but it costs me more not to get this problem resolved ASAP because I have a 1100 sqft. building lease thats due whether my board is working or not!
BLA XB Clock
SSL Fusion
Old 10-27-2008, 03:19 AM

Yoda,

No simular pb's like you but maybe worth to try...

I recently replaced my FW card. Actually moved from the onboard FW to a PCI-card with a TI chipset and a short FW-cable. Pb's solved !!

see: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=228156

Dutchmountain
Old 10-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Avid

Quote:
now all of a sudden by 002 does not power up all of the time like it should
I think that's likely a source of many of the problems. If it's now powering up properly, it could mean loose connections that cause disconnects, firmware corruption, etc.

You may want to reseat the harness and I'd even recommend cleaning all connections, both on the harness and the circuit boards, to make sure you're getting a good connection.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:07 AM

Hoping you guys would chime in..... I'll try that. Also, any ideas why a small tap or two on the back of the unit would make it do it's final click sometimes and come up to its normal start status. Maybe where to look or what area to concentrate on as far as cleaning.
I already ordered the f/w card to try and remove that as a suspect.
Thanks
BLA XB Clock
SSL Fusion
Old 10-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Avid

Quote:
Also, any ideas why a small tap or two on the back of the unit would make it do it's final click sometime
That sounds like a loose connection. Is the power supply firmly attached?
Old 10-27-2008, 12:24 PM

All of the new power harness connections seemed tight, I do however remember the connection coming from the power source that connect to the power supply (connected to the bottom of the chasis).... the one that has the 3 prongs (white plastic clip) seems loose when I connect it.... it seems to have alot more play than all the others once snapped into place
BLA XB Clock
SSL Fusion
Old 10-29-2008, 07:47 PM

OK, I got my SIIG digi approved card, and its not the problem...... and my new power harness is not the problem.... My 002 lost its fader firmware again, during opening a session and it still loses connection after about 30min to an hour of being connected.....any ideas .....anybody?
At this point I am pretty sure I am going to have to send it to somebody but I would atleast like to have some type of idea about whats wrong.
BLA XB Clock
SSL Fusion
Old 10-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Avid

I'm sorry I don't have more for you to work with - at the moment it's sounding like this needs to be repaired.