Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2018, 10:37 AM

Default Feature Request: Click modifiers to show a sends level/mute/pan track view?!?!

This seems so obvious that I've always just assumed it existed, but hadn't stumbled on the correct click modifier or short cut yet. Now I'm beginning to believe it doesn't exist.

HEY AVID CAN YOU PLEASE ADD THIS FUNCTIONALITY TO THE NEXT UPDATE?

I'll make it super easy:

Command-Right Click on a send: show level lane as main track view
Option-Right Click on a send: show mute lane as main track view
Control-Right Click on a send: show pan lane for mono track as main track view
Control-Option-Right Click on a send: show the left pan lane as main track view
Option-Command-Right Click on a send: show the right pan lane as main track view

The same modified click would toggle back to the previous lane view. For example, lets say you are in Waveform view on track "Chorus Tuba Solo." If you Command-Right Click the "short reverb" send, the the level lane for that send is now the main track view of "Chorus Tuba Solo". Command-Right Click again, once you've made your level change, and it takes you back to waveform view.

Just like Zoom Toggle has a menu in preferences to determine what you want to toggle between, so could this functionality. You could set it to toggle back to the previous lane view, or toggle back to a default lane view. For example, if you're in the Volume lane track view for "Theremin Ensemble Hi-Harm" Option-Command Right Click would show the right pane lane (assuming you recorded your theremin ensemble by the book with stereo room mics). Depending on your preference settings, the same modified click would take you back to the Volume track view, or it could take you to the chosen default track view, like Waveform.

As of right now modifying a right click with any of these keys does not change the functionality of right clicking (unless something changed in 2018). So you've got five open click modifiers at your disposal. Lets use them!!

(If your programmers aren't feeling up to the task, can you at least add level, mute and pan to the right click menu options when you right click on a send? This wouldn't be as nice/fast as click modifiers, but it would be better than the workflow right now, and then we could talk again before the next update about the click modifiers, because I think, and I hope my peers agree, it would be a game changer to workflow.)

And while were on the topic of sends, is there any way to add a preference setting so that you could either show the sends as "snd j level/mute/pan" like it is right now in the drop down tab for track view, or much easier, the drop down tab displays the send as whatever send J has been renamed to. When I've got all ten sends full, sometimes it's annoying to have to look at my sends to figure out which effect I'm working on. I might be working on effects between 5 vocal tracks. Might change the "long reverb" send level on Track 1, then go down and change some things on the other 4, then come back to Track 1, 20 minutes later and be like, what effect send level is this? Oh, it's effect "snd j level" so that's so helpful! Then I've gotta look over at send J to figure out which send I'm on. Couldn't it just read as whatever that send has been renamed to?

Can I get an AMEN?!?!?

EDIT: Before I get blown up by comments telling me "Control-Command left/right arrow to switch track views!" Yeah, I'm aware. But If I have ALL my sends full and I'm in Waveform view, that's 32 key strokes to get to Send J Level. That's not even close to being usable.
32 GB Ram
Syphony i/o 8x8

Last edited by jaminjamesp; 02-22-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:29 AM

Default Re: HEY AVID! Click modifiers to show a sends level/mute/pan track view?!?!

FYI, this is a user support forum not monitored directly by anyone at Avid responsible for implementing changes in PT.

They want you to post stuff like this to:

http://protools.ideascale.com

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:34 AM

Default Re: HEY AVID! Click modifiers to show a sends level/mute/pan track view?!?!

right click (or right click with modifier) is never going to happen. On both macOS and Windows, right click is reserved for secondary menus (drop down menus.) Avid would have to break SOP for both operating systems and GUI behaviour. Not going to happen. That is why there aren't any right-click modifier shortcuts.

Adding it to that menu could happen though...