Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-1999, 03:02 PM

Default Adat Bridge vs. 24bit?

Hi TechSupport!
I found out the ADAT Bridge is not able to get 24bit through the toslink-conection. Will there be a future update to enable that? (I heard the Motu 2408 would be able to do that) That would be appreciated!

2. question: is there a possibility for surround-panning using ProTools and ProControl? It should enable at least 5.1 panning and must be controlled using ProControl. Any plug-in known?
Old 04-15-1999, 12:31 AM
Avid

Default Re: Adat Bridge vs. 24bit?

Tobias--

1. No news on this right now. We're talking about it, but I don't know if/when it will happen. There's a lot of desire for it, so I think its a good possibility.

2. Check out http://www.kindofloud.com . They make a plug-in called SmartPanPro. You can control the panning via the mouse or via the touch pad on ProControl. ProControl is set up to output 6 discrete channels for a 5.1 mix.

Ted B.
Digi
Old 09-29-1999, 03:18 AM

Strange that the new Digi001 has 24 bit adat in/out!!
Old 10-03-1999, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Yes, the OO1 will have 24-bit light pipe capability. We will be adding the same capability to the ADAT Bridge, from what I understand. Details have not been finalized, and as far as I know we don't have the parts available yet. We're still gearing up production for the 001.
The ADAT Bridge upgrade will almost certainly be a modification involving returning the unit for the upgrade, the same way we did the 888/24 24 bit D/A upgrade. And like that upgrade, there will probably be free upgrades for recent purchasers.
We'll make an announcement when this becomes available and we have a date and details, but yes, 24 bit capability is coming to the ADAT Bridge.

------------------
Bruce Paine
Technical eMarketing
Old 10-08-1999, 11:26 PM

From what I understood, the Adat Bridge was for Adats and to date, they don't do 24bit. so it would be kind of stupid to pay extra for something you didn't need. Now that light pipe is a huge standard in the indusry, everyones thinking has changed, including Digi, of what lightpipe should do. This is why I didn't buy one. Because I didn't have Adats.That would be the only reason to buy one. Maybe Digi should make a new interface and call it lightpipe bridge so they can make more money of us. That upgrade option sounds cheaper, though.

Creature
Old 04-25-2000, 10:06 PM

creaturestudios:
I have a PT mix plus system and a Spirit 328 digital console. I purchased an ADAT Bridge knowing the upgrade would eventually happen.
Here's the Deal: the board spits out 16 channels of ADAT or TDIF at 24 Bit. Do you follow. The Console is 16 Channels of sweet sounding Mic Pre's w/16 channels directly connected to PT for slightly more than an 888/24!
I eagerly await the upgrade of dynamic range as I purchased the system recently and was told the upgrade would be free due to purchase time.
I am also awaiting a Tascam MX2424 that will use a Glyph 18gb sled drive system so the drives can be brought back from a remote and mixed while the Tascam is still out in the field. I'll let you know how this whole scenario works when we get it rolling.
Old 04-27-2000, 09:07 AM

I talked to a digi rep and the 24 bit adat bridge will be available about July 1. I have been waiting on that also. I want to connect via either my DA7 or motu 2408.

Old 05-03-2000, 09:18 PM

Hey Hughes,
I have the same setup, and am eagerly awaiting the upgrade as well. I use PT mostly for mixing, so I take the 16 outs through the adat br. into the Spirit. I like the immed access to eq settings, lex fx, real moving faders etc. This frees up the computer to run more of the cooler tdm plugs too.
FYI, I spoke to the Spirit people at a recent audio show. He said ver 2.0 is going to be released soon--it totally re-does the fader/midi controller relationship to the point where it will follow and act just like your on-screen faders. Someone at Spirit (as opposed to a 3rd party) is working on the PT midi template for the 328.
Cheers
Smurphy
Old 05-08-2000, 09:16 PM

Yo Smurphy!
Thanks for the info re: 328. I haven't done much w/using the board externally for EQ/FX. I did it once to test and it worked fairly well. I'm curious to know more of how you are doing this and your results. I am more comfortable driving Pro Tools and do most of the processing there. I'll have to mess w/it some more but I'm still getting used to all the new plugs. I haven't had enough time to test the Lexicon Processing. Do you think it sounds as good as a PCM 81 if so I'll create a mix routing to include it more in my arsenal.
Re: the fader control
I use the HUI and don't think all of that erroneous Midi data from two controllers will help my situation unless I could map the faders to controll the ones that the HUI isn't. The clincher there is that the HUI has touch sensitive faders.
Keep me posted of more cool info.
Thanks
Hughes