Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 10:13 AM

Default PT Training-not taking cert.classes-teaching them

Greetings all!

I'm now doing some work for a Design and Integration Corporation, where I integrate multimedia systems into full blown A/V installations. Our bread and Butter is FCP and Avid systems, however, we are doing more and more Digi Systems. Since the Smaller AVID systems now come with a 002 (board) and PT LE, and the HD systems are now being sold more and more, clients require "orientation". Since I know Pro Tools (albeit more form an editing standpoint more than a mixing one) I am being recruited to do "orientation" to our clients. Not training, but an over view after the purchase and installation. Usually 4-6 hours.

My question is this: What points do you feel I should be hitting on? Focussing on some fundamental concepts of sound (to lead into bit rates, sampling rates, etc) or focus more on the toolbars, etc? Focus on what features? I'm trying to create a rough "script" of what to teach, but since I'm not a teacher, I'm a bit stuck.

Suggestions?
.: michaelkammes.com
.: lucidsound.com
Old 11-30-2004, 12:22 PM

Default Re: PT Training-not taking cert.classes-teaching t

What do your clients need to learn? Help them with those issues, which may or may not be the same for everyone.

John Link
Old 11-30-2004, 01:04 PM

Thats just it.

The People are kinda new to the system, and I'm giving them an orientation..NOT training. 6 hours. So I want to makw sure I hit the neccessities, but not dig in "too" much. Quite frankly, I'm having a hard time deciding whats the basics and whats advanced.

As part of the sales, the client gets this to get them familiar with the system they just purchased. If they want in depth knowledge, then they pay for training...if that helps to more clearly define the line between what I'm doing and training. So Im not remedying the clients problems, as much as I am showcasing the product and showing them the basics. However, I dont believe they are completely oblivious, so I am going in on the assumption they ahve some basic usability.

Does that help?

Thanks so much!
.: michaelkammes.com
.: lucidsound.com
Old 11-30-2004, 05:04 PM

Think of some tasks your clients might need to do, and then show them whatever is necessary to do those tasks.

By the way, I think that the distinction between orientation and training is pretty vague, except to the extent that it is about how much the client is paying. My suggestion is to think of your job as giving your clients six hours of training. Make sure to refer to some features of the product that you won't cover but that will interest them, so that they'll want to pay for training.

Good luck!
John Link