Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2009, 10:31 AM

Default pt8 seems so vurnerable

I love it, but with huge sessions, with elastic audio, many editing, sessions files gets corrupted very often.
The system is well maintained, troubleshooting thread done multiple times. Only one thing help me out, make a new session, and import session data. But this is not the way it should go.
When things getting wrong, saving is about 10 seconds, even when pro tools saves the backup. A simple separate command lasts for 6-15 secs, so it's pretty ugly.
I have never had this with 7.4.2. Now I have it almost in every session or two.
What can cause this?
The only 3rd party plug is massey ct4, otherwise only stock plugs.
pt8 cs2, osx 10.5.6

Tamas Dragon
Old 03-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Avid

Default Re: pt8 seems so vurnerable

Can you give us more system details? Have you tried different drives? Are you absolutely sure there are NO other 3rd party plug-ins installed?
Old 03-06-2009, 12:27 AM

I have tried two completely different compatible external drives, no luck.
The system is a macbookpro 2.4gHz 4gigs of ram. No other 3rd party installed.
Two things changed in my workflow. I use ea to correct the drums, and than edit them (separate, fade, etc) with ea still on. I don't know if it's a problem.
The other which I have found is that the session contains audiofiles, which names includes hungarian characters also. Can it be the root of the problem?
The problem occurs after a few simple separate commands. After let's say 10 separate, the editing getting sluggish, and after this, saving is getting to 10 secs, even saving backup is getting rather long.
And somehow it seems to me that if I make a new session and import session data, the problem gone for a good while.
Tamas Dragon
Old 03-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Avid

Quote:
I use ea to correct the drums, and than edit them (separate, fade, etc) with ea still on. I don't know if it's a problem.
That is, indeed, the incorrect way of going about it. You should do EA before or after edits. Having fades on tracks with EA and rendering them will result in glitches and other unpredictable behavior.

Quote:
The other which I have found is that the session contains audiofiles, which names includes hungarian characters also. Can it be the root of the problem?
Possible, but unlikely. Have you tried sessions without hungarian characters, to see if there's any difference?

Quote:
I have tried two completely different compatible external drives, no luck.
Which drives are those? Which Digidesign hardware are you using? How do you have everything connected? Which other peripherals do you have attached?

I'm expecting that something about your configuration is the root of the issue and not Pro Tools, as I work daily on a MacBook Pro 2.2 and do not see any of these kinds of problems on my system, or any other one that I work with. The only time we see this is when there's some configuration problem.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:42 PM

Are you using FireWire attached to the cardbus or the 800 port on the macbook?

Do you have everything turned off (airport, time capsule, etc) when you are in PT?
OSX 10.5.5, PTLE 8
Old 03-07-2009, 12:43 AM

Ok, so, the setup is:
macbookpro 2.4gHz, 4gig ram
sessions are on external firewire drive connected to mbp fw800 port
digi003 interface connected to mbp fw400 port
only the ilok a mouse and a ext. keyboard is attached to the machine (soon will be an uad2 solo laptop.

I guess I mess things up with my idiot workflow with ea. I'll change that.

I haven't tried the session without hungarian characters, because I'm in the middle of a complete cd mix, so cannot change so many files.

My guess is that I managed to kill my pro tools with this elastic audio is always on, and the stupid user (me :)) still heavily editing drums with cuts, fades, etc.

Tamas Dragon