Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 04-26-2021, 06:27 PM

Default I changed a Project Cache name

I cant totally remember the sequence of event but long story short is that I cannot get my project to open and suspect it is because I changed the name of my project in the cache. Other project function fine but the one I need is totally unresponsive. Is the anyway to renew the original name?

I’m using a MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 13 in

Last edited by ulikemike2; 04-27-2021 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:55 AM

Default Re: I changed a Project Cache name

If your project was backed up to the cloud, you should be able to restore the project from the Pro Tools First Dashboard. If you don't see the restore from cloud icon, you may have to move that project from your cache directory to someplace safe and restart PTF.

If this was a local project and not backed up to the cloud, then there is no way from within PTF to restore it.

Just a note: you can rename your projects from the PTF Dashboard window. There is no need to touch anything in the cache.

System Details
Old 04-28-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulikemike2 View Post
I cant totally remember the sequence of event but long story short is that I cannot get my project to open and suspect it is because I changed the name of my project in the cache.
I’m using a MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 13 in
DO you have TimeMachine running or any other backup. That might be the only solution to get it back if any other approach fails.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 04-28-2021, 12:46 PM

If you can't change the name the same way you changed it before, I don't have a good solution. Assuming this is a "Project"(which is in the cloud) and not a "Session"(which is on your hard drive).

The important question for moving forward is; why did you change it? To avoid having this hit you again in the future, what was the intent(so maybe someone can offer a better option). I also recommend ONLY doing sessions instead of projects(specifically so all the data will be local).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-29-2021, 10:44 AM

Hi everyone thanks for your replies. It was indeed a session, with no backups (first mistake. I don’t have a great reason for changing it. I was accessing some of the original tracks that were deleted through there and kept getting confused on which project it was, so I changed the name and became doomed.

Anyway, I ended up re-recording the project!
Old 04-29-2021, 12:58 PM

The Project Cache folder and its contents should not be moved or changed - any/all changes (including renaming the Project) should be made within Pro Tools.

Thought it was also worth clarifying - Projects are not exclusively cloud based. They are created locally (in /Documents/Pro Tools/Project Cache) where PT is reading from/writing to, and you have the option to upload them (Backup) to your Avid cloud. Note that we made Backup To Cloud optional for all users about 2 years ago which allowed Pro Tools First users to have unlimited local Projects with up to 3 of them in the cloud.